Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 58yf refrig

58yf refrig

hey guys, been looking and measuring,and cant find a side by side that will fit down the stairs and fit under the cabinet when i get it down. does anybody have a name and model number of a refrig that fit without any modifications other than grab rail and moulding removal? my boat is a 1972 58yf, it has 66.3 inches under the cabinet,and it does not have the electric box on the stbd side. help help help thanks bigbill.

Re: 58yf refrig

I did a lot of searching when putting a new fridge in our 53MY. Nothing in a "standard house" size fridge that I could find would fit in a 66.3 vertical dimension and ALSO fit footprint-wise. Take a close look at that cabinet - you may find that the sides/front overhang BELOW the actual bottom of the cabinet. If so, you can (should) cut that portion off to gain additional clearance. Go to this post for more info that should help on the fridge: http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3725

In the doc you will find this sentence:
    So from the back, I removed the rear wheels and put a strip of thick material under that portion of the fridge.

The phrase
    a strip of thick material would be more clear if I had said "thick cloth" It's certainly no thicker than 1/16 and is probably less than that.
    Last edited by MikeP; 09-17-2006 at 07:33 AM. Reason: clarify

I got a 22cf GE side-by-side down there with some small mods to the stairs. There is a 19 or 20cf model that will fit without mods, just remove the handrail. There are only a few that are 67" high but you will have to remove the wheels under it to slide it under your overhead cabinet no matter what. Well worth the trouble, I assure you!

I used my davit to lift the old one off the back deck and set it on the dock and to move the new one on the boat.

I replaced my Side by Side a couple of years ago with an LG model, but I have heard that most of the newer models are taller due to Federal energy saving standards. Apparently they have to have more insulation in the cabinet now. Thanks Feds
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI