Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

rebuilding macerator pump

Little boat has a frozen macerator pump. As boat is currently for sale I have removed and torn apart pump. Shurflo 96 vintage. Pump is now apart, full of corrosion, was blowing breaker when applied power. Removed housing, pulled motor, magnets, etc... Is cleaning this thing up and putting it back together worth it? Will it work? Parts all look good after cleaning... Don't feel like paying 100 for a new one.

Re: rebuilding macerator pump

Heck, if you want to put it back together after cleaning, etc, go ahead, it doesn't cost a dime more to do so. However, to my knowledge, none of these pumps are designed to be rebuilt so although it may work OK for a while, I wouldn't expect it to last long.

But since you are selling the boat, I suppose the only real concern is having it run long enough to sell. Beyond that I would use the old saying, "Let your conscience be your guide!"

Just remember that this is a public forum. When I started looking for my boat, I had not heard of this site, but I found it while I was looking. So, once I knew the name of the boat (and the owner) that I wanted to make an offer on, I searched here for any postings. And....what do you know.....I found several problems that the PO had posted about. I then looked those areas over very closely at survey. I have thought about that every time that I post here. But, then I figure, no problem, as long as I do the job right.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY
    Just remember that this is a public forum. When I started looking for my boat, I had not heard of this site, but I found it while I was looking. So, once I knew the name of the boat (and the owner) that I wanted to make an offer on, I searched here for any postings. And....what do you know.....I found several problems that the PO had posted about. I then looked those areas over very closely at survey. I have thought about that every time that I post here. But, then I figure, no problem, as long as I do the job right.

Sky, You make a good point. Just remember though, you can always delete or edit anything that you have ever posted. If there is anything you would rather not be available for future searches, exercise your right to delete or edit!

Yeah, guess I shouldn't mention that all that corrosion was caused when the boat sank and sat on the bottom for a few months before I got around to raising her!!