Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What is this?

Re: What is this?

Quote Originally Posted by SKYNYRDBOY
    I just purchased a Garmin 2010 (think that number is correct) and have been thinking of what I would need to be able to use it on the bridge as well as in the pilothouse.

Can a laptop be hooked up to this unit somehow as to display on the lower station? I'm kind of a computer nerd when it comes to stuff like that. I assume it would only serve as a repeater with no control on funtions, but that would be okay for a quick duck out of the rain.
    Randy, I don't believe there's any way to duplicate the display of a 2010 series on a remote display anywhere else...they're not networkable. Some (maybe most, by now) of the newer models are, though. Heck, with what you're laying down on boats these days, what's a few more thousand?!

I know one thing for certain is that you can hook up another Garmin unit (I forget which models would be compatible this way, last I checked, but certainly ones smaller and less $$ than the 2010) to the blackbox sounder for a redundant fishfinder display (i.e. in the cockpit for your fishing/diving buddies). Given that you're a motoryacht guy, though, I don't see you doing it.
    -- Paul

#6 If you are referring to the larger item marked "IDEAL", that looks like a hause pipe cover designed for chain.

paul, 2000 series is not networkable, unlike the newer 3000, but you can hook it up to a computer serial port.

Randy,

when i bought the 53, it came with a 20006c but the owner had bought the chip for the area (south FL ) not the CD... I had to buy the CD to load on the computer...

you need a computer with serial port though, or you can use a USB to serial adapter although I've heard that these dont' always work. newer notebooks do not come with serial ports...

that set up gives you live position on the computer scree along with speed, headings, waypoints, trakcs and routes, although as mention it doesn't give you heading/distance/time to the next WP. a minor inconvenience considering you get a free second station !

to connect the garmin, use some shielded phone cable... i think you only need 1 pair... check the manual, it tells you which wires to use. then buy a serial cable, cut it and splice the wires... real easy.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

4. Re: What is this?

Hey Guys,

Mine is a 2000 series, but is the new one with pre-loaded charts of the entire free world. I believe it is networkable as it can be used in conjunction with a depth module as other add-ons.

I haven't spent much time with this unit and have not read the owners manual. Perhaps the answer to my question is there.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Angela,
    On my non-Hatteras boat, the engine shutdown control (the Kidde box that you have) is under the helm. I would follow the wires from the stop buttons. The control box will power the stop solenoids before the bottle is discharged. Your blowers also should be controled by this.

Mark

6. Re: What is this?

The Kidde box is PROBABLY under the helm, as was noted.

One way to find out is to go where the bottle is - you'll find an electrical connector right next to it, with wires going into a switch on the bottle head.

With the engine running (at idle, at the dock!) and a helper on board disconnect the wire.

The discharge alarm should sound AND the engines should shut down. If they do, IMM#EDIATELY turn off the key switch and/or reconnect the wire!

If both do not happen or the wiring on the bottle doesn't go anywhere then the relay box was not installed and/or wired (or wired properly), and those bottles are not going to put out a fire that occurs with the engines running unless you detect the discharge and immediately shut off the engines and genset.

BTW, beware wiring that relay box. There are two versions - one with a timer (relay closes for a certain amount of time, then reopens) and one that latches when triggered. The timer one is MUCH more expensive and prone to trouble.

The latching one WILL burn up your stop solenoids if it fires and you don't turn off the keys quickly enough, depending on how you wire it.

I wired mine through the ignition keys so that if it fired I could shut down the ignition keys and save the solenoids. Not that a solenoid is a big deal if you have real fire, but they ARE a bit spendy and the idea of replacing them just for grins and giggles wasn't on my list of things I wanted to do.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I'll try to clean up the pilothouse tomorrow afternoon so I have room to pull the helm back - it's a real mess presently since I emptied all the drawers and I'm sifting through stuff. I'll peek behind the helm tomorrow and hope to see it. I'll wait for Ed to get back here in a few weeks to run the test with the wires.

And by the way, thank you, everyone, for all the responses. I'm sure that as I continue to move through the boat, I'll probably find more "What's this?" stuff.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com