Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

What is this?

I am cleaning out the pilothouse. There was a lot of stuff left behind from the previous owner and a lot of stuff was non-boat related stuff, like computer things, cell phone gadgets, etc. I have a handful of items remaining that I'm either not sure what they are (do they even go to anything on the boat?) or I'm not sure what to do with them. Maybe you guys can help me out here. Here goes:

Item No. 1 is some sort of deck fitting - a threaded cap like a fuel cap, but there is some sort of elbow fitting in the top of it. Sorry, this photo is a little blurry.

Item No. 2 is Kiddie electrical connection box. Should I be concerned that it is sitting in a drawer rather than installed somewhere? I have a fairly new fire suppressant system that was installed when the boat was certified for 49 passengers and I assume this is a part, but I’m not sure why it’s sitting in a drawer.

Item No. 3 is a power cord with DC plugs at both ends. Where would I use something like this on the boat?

Item No. 4 is a converter that was found under the flybridge, not connected. Would this be a spare?

Item No. 5 is a submersible radio mic, but it has a funny looking plug which I don’t find that it fits into any radio. What should I be looking for with this kind of plug?

Item No. 6 - I know what the metal plate is that is stamped “IDEAL” (a chain stop to the windlass), but I found these two metal caps in the same bag with the chain stop. Any idea where they go? Are they a part of the windlass? I can’t find any kind of reciprocal fitting on the windlass.

That’s all for now. Thanks!

[Looks like I can only upload 3 at a time!]
    [IMG]No. 1 - Some sort of deck fitting.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]No. 2 - Kiddie Connection Box.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]No. 3 - Cord with DC plub at both ends.jpg[/IMG]
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Re: What is this?

The last three:

[IMG]No. 4 - Converter.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]No. 5 - mic.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]No. 6 - no idea.jpg[/IMG]
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

I think I can help with a few:

#3 cord is just a male-to-male 12v cigarette socket cord. I have one that can charge my 3 million candlepower cordless searchlight from any 12V outlet. THe female socket on the light is used to power small 12V items off the flashlight battery. That is one use for that cord, if you have the searchlight!

#4 Converter is surely a spare. Keep that because you may need it one day and they are NOT cheap! That is what is converting your 32v into 12v to power your electronics and anything that needs 12v on your bridge.

#5 Mic looks to me like it is a remote command mic for a VHF that is installed somewhere on the boat, usually lower helm or flybridge. This can be used on the aft deck or galley to have access to a VHF when away from the bridge.

Hay I got number 6 ( Ideal )thats easy .. It's the stoper for your chain on the gally maid wench
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

#5 looks like a RAM MIC made by Standard Horizon. It's used remotely of your VHF, but ties in all the features of the VHF whever you have the RAM MIC.

#6 look like the caps are just water inlet caps. The one I can see into looks threaded with a hose washer in it.

Jason

The only thing I can comment on is that fire suppressor busbar/switch terminal thingy. I can't say I've ever seen or heard of one, but the fine print on there clearly refers to engine shutdowns. The auto fire extinguisher systems in engine rooms mostly all have a safety switch that can shut down the engine(s), don't they? This one seems a tad more elaborate, for sure, because the systems I've seen are mounted right on the top fo the fire bottle. And yes, I'd be a little curious as to why it's in a drawer and not installed somewhere. Perhaps this one pictured was rendered obsolete at some point in the boat's history.

I'd say your best bet is to email that very same picture to whoever does your fire bottle inspections. Surely they'd know.
    -- Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CARL GUZMAN
    Hay I got number 6 ( Ideal )thats easy .. It's the stoper for your chain on the gally maid wench
    I knew that! So, you didn't score any points yet, and ThirdHatt has the lead.... LOL

I learned about the chain stopper on Pascal's boat a couple of weeks ago, but what I don't know is what the two little metal caps are with rubber washers inside. They were in the same bag with the chain stopper and I am wondering if they might be windlass parts or whether someone just threw them in the bag with the chain stopper.

ThirdHatt - thanks for your imput, I'll start looking to see if there is a remote outlet for that mic somewhere. Haven't come across one yet, but I wasn't looking for it either, other than coming out of a radio. Chances are it may be an old part since it appears the radios have been updated. The cord on the mic in the photo is yellowed and old-looking and the radios mounted in the pilothouse and on the flybridge are newer. Unfortunately, her previous owner died unexpectely and much of the knowledge of the boat stuff passed with him which is why I'm sifting through cell phone parts, computer/laptop parts, tons of "cords" and DC adaptors, and just "stuff", much of which goes to nothing on the boat. What I'd like to find is the charting software that goes with the GPS since a computer line goes from the flybridge where the nice GPS is to the pilothouse where it hooks into a laptop....not so lucky yet on that one.
    Last edited by Angela; 08-24-2006 at 10:14 PM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

8. Re: What is this?

OK, here 'ya go:

1. No idea. My best guess is some kind of vent fitting for something.

2. That's the shutdown relay box for any of the "clean agent" new systems (e.g. FE241, FM200, etc). It is REQUIRED if you have a clean agent engine room system - CO2 systems neither need nor should have it installed. It must shut down the engines and generator.

3. Looks like some kind of bastidged thing for patching your 12V into something else. Probably worthless without whatever it went with.

4. Is a 32-12V converter, typically used to provide power to bridge electronics (or a 12V car stereo) that can't "eat" 32V power.

5. Is a Standard Horizon remote microphone. If you have a SH VHF on board there's a plug in the back that this will mate to - either directly or via an adapter cord.

6. The two caps are hose caps. Useful if you have hose attachments (forward?) for washing off your anchor, etc.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

#6 is NOT actually a chain stopper. It is a hawse pipe cover. It is not designed to hold any load as a stopper would. This is evident by the lack of chroming on the cover after someone stepped on the switch with the cover in place (it bent and was straightened). So, if you don't have an actual chain stopper, you will need some sort of safety device to keep the anchor from dropping from the pulpit. This can be a simple rope or cable tied from the anchor to a cleat or the capstan or something else solid. Or, it could be a heavy chromed chain stopper bolted thru the pulpit. In any case you need something there other than that cover.

#1 -- Could that be used to pressurize a tank from the deck fitting? Maybe someone was trying to clear a vent hose with it. Or maybe the opposite--used to try to pull a vacuum on a tank (waste tank). Just guesses.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 08-24-2006 at 11:04 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky we'll discuse this more when I see you in Marco, But When Your driving and you have a bunch of land monkeys on the boat , and your yelling down from the bridge ,that is a chain stoper. they seem to understand that...
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA