Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

But money is an object!

Unfortunately, I haven't won the lottery and cannot afford to spend an unlimited amount. But I have a 1978 37' boat that needs a lot of work. Some of the more expensive things it needs are: paint (entire boat), renew interior, repair gunwales (woodrot in core), replace gauges, replace forward A/C, new generator, new windows, new flybridge top (bimini or hardtop?), bait/tackle/freezer in cockpit, swim platform, and all new electronics (it has none). Okay, some of these may not be NEEDS, but WANTS. Other than that, the boat is in pretty good shape!

So, how much is this going to cost? I want it to be done right, but I still haven't won the lottery. I know it will be expensive, not to mention the time it will take. I've had this boat for three years now and have already spend lots of time and money, but there seems to be no end in sight.

I'm beginning to wonder if I would be better off selling this boat and starting over with something different (that doesn't need quite so much work).

Any thoughts, cost estimates, or suggestions for what I should or should not do are greatly appreciated!

2. Re: But money is an object!

Hey Bubba,

I'm not sure where you are in Florida, but at least you are in Florida where any number of places can take your money and fix your boat.

As for fixing vs replacing. I'd look at what I had in the boat, get quotes on doing the work you want, then add it all up to see if you'd be married to it if you decide you want something else.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Re: But money is an object!

There comes a point when you don't own the boat, the boat owns you. To avoid crossing that bridge, you have to think coldly about your boat. When you figure out how to do that, tell the rest of us, we could use the advice.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Money is an object. I bought my 45C last November, and am going through much of what you have ahead of you. I do most of my own work for two reasons: 1 -- Money IS an object and 2 -- I LOVE working on my boat.

How much you ask? Don't ask that...you don't want to know. As for paint, I am painting mine myself. I am using an epoxy paint designed to be rolled, brushed or sprayed, and if done properly can look as good as any sprayed Awlgrip or Imron. Cost? approx 2K...time? off the charts (but thats OK 'cause I LOVE it).

Interior...how good are you at decorating? You can replace almost everything in there yourself and make it look near-professional. Window treatments? Go and look at other boats (maybe at boat shows or dealers) and take digital pics of the things you like AND how they're fastened in there. Like if you look at the window treatments and you like them...take pics of the whole thing, and also how the bottom of them is secured. Go out and shop them, keeping in mind how you will need to customize them for the boat. Thats all there really is to it!

If you don't know how to do the repairs yourself, ask specific questions on here and you'll gain the knowledge you need to complete just about any task out there. I am in the process of cleaning out my cooling system only because the guys here gave me the courage to do it myself. Look at how Angela is coming along with her boat...well if only the other boats would stop hitting it.

You mentioned selling this one and starting over. Have you ever seen a boat that is not yours that is perfect for you? NO, of course not...Not even a new one. Any boat needs work to suit you...and a 37 Hatt is one Hell of a boat! Don't get rid of it, keep hanging in there.

Make electronics LAST on your list. Don't go and spend thousands on them only to have them sit and rot while you work on other important projects. By the time you're ready for electronics, new ones will be out and available.

Jason

5. Re: But money is an object!

When we bought our boat in 2000, the sellers explained to us that they had painted the boat just 2 years before, but I would have to paint it "within a year or so" as they had used oil based house paint.
    The bids I got from the local boat yards here ranged from $28,000 - $36,000 and that was just for the hull!
    We took the boat to St Augustine Marina (great DIY place) and spent 11 days just sanding, 10-13 hrs a day plus had a lot of friends helping.... The paint was up to 1/4 " thick at places.
    BUT, not only did we get the hull painted (3 coats of primer, 3 coats of awlgrip), but put 3 coats of bottom paint on, new zincs and the total cost for all of it (17 days on the hard) was $2800.
    No the hull isn't "professionally done" but from 10" away no one can tell.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Now THERE'S a reality check for us! We were just trying to have some fun and dream a bit in that last thread. After all, where would we all be without dreams? No matter what condition our respective boats are in, we always dream about bettering them, cruising them, maybe upgrading ( ) someday, etc. I think it is quite healthy and keeps us motivated and moving forward.

Now, on to your boat: You got the first part right: You bought a Classic Hatteras. These boats are more worthy of time, love and money to be spent on them more than any other, IMHO. Your boat must run well, because you didnlt mention needing overhauls so at least you can use your boat and enjoy her while you fix her up.

How handy are you? Must you hire much of the work out or can you do alot on your own? That will be the deciding factor in how expensive the entire project ends up being. If I were you, I would first be looking for a nice used genset and get that project behind you. You MUST have reliable power to truly enjoy the comforts of a Hatteras on the open water. Next would be the forward A/C now that you will have the power to run it.

Windows are easily removable and you can just clean them up, replace the fuzzy stuff in the tracks and re-bed them yourself for little money and have no more leaks.

Hardtops are expensive so I would suggest a bimini since money is an object!

Just do a basic electronics package to use for now for well under $1k total. Buy a nice $150-200 VHF and a small chartplotting GPS/Fishfinder/Depth Sounder for $600-800 and you're done. Worry about radar later.

Interior is not hard either. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy yourself a piece of in-stock carpet and re-carpet your whole boat for $150 (cut and lay yourself). While you're there pick out some inexpensive 2" blinds for the salon. Go to K-Mart and pick up some short expandable curtain rods and some small window covers to hang over the portholes. Pick up some new bedding and pillows while you're there. POOF! Your boat is re-decorated!

Paint is a biggie, but that should be last. You can do it yourself for VERY small dollars with decent paint and use the roll-and-tip method.

Your most expensive problem as I see it is the rotten core. That is where you need to find a good glass guy and work with him if possible to get it right.

Most important thing is DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED! You have a good boat, and you know what you've got. To try to sell it for a decent sum, and then buy someone else's problems puts you far behind, IMHO.

GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by ThirdHatt; 08-24-2006 at 08:04 PM.

There are a few different ways to tackle all this, but basically there are a variety of methods to divide up the things that need to be done:

1) essential (floating, moving, and safety) items vs. nonessentials
    2) things you can do vs. things you have to get done for you
    3) things you can defer vs. things you have to get done ASAP

Then there are the ways to get things:

1) used vs. new
    2) marine only vs. get it anywhere

If you run your wish lists through the above slicer-and-dicer, you'll get a better idea of where you stand. FWIW, the cheapest thing to do on any boat is pretty up the interior- it just doesn't cost that much unless you get a professional yacht decorator. I got an estimate a few years back, from a PYD, and after I finished laughing I did the whole job myself with my own subs for less than 2K. WAY less than 2K. The PYD was talking 5-6.

Fix the things that make the boat float and move first, then figure out your order on the rest of them. Tackle one thing at a time, and pace yourself (economically and otherwise). Keep in mind that many of us have been there on this road before you, and we have nice boats, pride of ownership, and the satisfaction of doing a lot of it ourselves. The great leveling thing about this forum is that we all like to work on our own boats.

(woodrot in core),
    how much cost? not to mention the time .I've had this boat for three years lots of time and money, but there seems to be no end in sight.
    wonder? starting over with something different (not so much work).

I condensed your thred but look at your facts , looks like you aready know what you want to do? Hay you had me at (wood rot in core) I can remember many a nights tosing and turning with fiberglass on every square inch
    Three years is along time what is the better half saying is she up for it, or are the promises of boating like a scrached record

I know you have all the costs in you head , but put pen to paper and really figure it out, always do the math. If you fail to plan then you plan to fail.
    how many hours will it take you , how much are you worth per hour??

In closing I'd like to say if you do pull it off you'll feel realy realy realy good at the end and no boat will compare. ( satisfaction like that can't be purchased )
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

You get the feeling we're a hopeless bunch of do-it-yourselfers?!

OK, many of us have admitted the DIY addiction. Now how about some practical tips for keeping the admirals in our lives from threatening nasty things if we miss yet ANOTHER weekend working on the boat...
    -- Paul

10. Re: But money is an object!

Admiral! What a lofty title. Mine is known as the "Galley Slave", and my best friend is "Boat Slave". I am the Captain of the vessel and "the beatings will continue until morale improves"! I let the wife be in charge of the house, but I hold my ground when it comes to the boat. Master and Commander has a different meaning. I never intend to get near the edge of that slippery slope, to even insinuate that she could be known as the "Admiral", that would indicate that she could pass judgement upon the lowly "Captain's" judgment on things like boat speed, heading, which marina, or funding to keep things ship shape. If I get any static, they get threatened with keel hauling or 40 lashes at the yardarm! The captain of a vessel must constantly be vigil for the beginnings of a mutiny, and put it down immediately. LOL
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com