Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Raha - Fire damage

And I did a hitch In the Army 1988-1991 Germany / Dessert Storm begining..
    I didn't remember that
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

2. Re: Raha - Fire damage

Quote Originally Posted by CARL GUZMAN
    And I did a hitch In the Army 1988-1991 Germany / Dessert Storm begining..
    I didn't remember that
    Dang Gooz Mon, you were doing your G.I. Joe impersonation and didn't know what SOP meant? I'll bet you were SOL with your CO when you drove your APC over those LIP's over there in the ME. You didn't think SOP was something you used in the shower did ya'?

PS Was the "Dessert" Storm you were in at the local Shoney's when there was only one piece of strawberry pie left on the all-u-can-eat dessert bar?
    Last edited by FREEBIRD; 08-24-2006 at 06:27 AM.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

sean

welcome aboard... sorry about the fire ! what a shame... you're lucky they were able to put it out ...

home grade wiring is a big no no on boats, especially the US styled twist on connectors which will get loose with vibrations. A couple of years ago, I think a 61 Hatt went up in smoke in florida and from what i recalled the fire was determined to have been caused by twist connector on a fwd bilge pump.

when i bought mine 3 years ago, I spent some time replacing a few of these...

in case you don't have them, you can get a blueprints and diagram from hatteras which may help in the project... if you need specific details, like pictures, I'm sure members here will be able to supply that as well.

good luck, keep us posted.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks again everyone for the info, my surveyor is meeting with the police and will show them the house wiring, we'll see where it goes from there.

Sean, you may have a pretty good choice of yards for refits. Several Hatteras yachts were shipped to that area in the 80s- I saw them go through Norfolk on their way to the decks of freighters to go to the Persian Gulf- there may even be yards that the factory recommends. The water issue is significant- you may have a lot of wet wiring, although fresh water is, at least in theory, not as bad as salt. Good luck with all this.

An alternative, I suppose, would be to ship the boat back for a refit, but it's inconceivable that insurance would be willing to pay for that.