Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Raha - Fire damage

Hi all,

As the newest member I would hope to have been asking for help with how to enhance my 53' with some prize parts. But alas I am online asking for any assistance or advice on where I can source parts to help repair my boat after a fire gutted most of the aft area on June 5th in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, engines are fine/smoke damaged and the rest is smoke damaged, so a new internal refit will be required.

She is still in the water awaiting release from the port police as the report is still not finished, but the surveyor has confirmed the integrity of the hull.

As this is totally new territory for me I would appreciate any help or advice whatsoever.

Thanks

Sean

2. Re: Raha - Fire damage

Welcome to my nightmare. You've come to the right place in your quest for restoring your Hatt. Call Steve at Sams (click on Sam's in the upper right corner). All you need is a credit card, and you'll be on your way!
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Re: Raha - Fire damage

Sorry to hear about the fire
    Did your insurance cover you in that area of the world.
    was it a molitof coctail or a natural act.
    after market wireing?
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

4. Re: Raha - Fire damage

Quote Originally Posted by CARL GUZMAN
    Sorry to hear about the fire
    Did your insurance cover you in that area of the world.
    was it a molitof coctail or a natural act.
    after market wireing?
    I wasn't going to get into causes for fear of being bleeped! You boys weren't having a camel roast in the cockpit were ya'? Just kiddin'.

I don't want to scare you away from here. It's a VERY serious forum that can offer VERY serious advice to get your Hatt back into shape. But that doesn't mean we can't have a little fun along the way. I'm an equal opportunity offender!
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com

Thumbs up Re: Raha - Fire damage

Thanks for such quick replies and the sense of humour.

Insurance unfortunately not.

Didn't you guys know that Molotov cooking of Camels is SOP here?

When the fire brigade eventually arrived they smashed every window on the boat and literally filled her with water , until someone mentioned she was about to go over, so they pumped it out, simple methodology

Surveyor thinks it was a stuck float on the aft bilge pump. Some recent work was carried out on the wiring and we found the company had used household wiring, is this legal in the States? One of the switches in the wheelhouse had been stuck on previously, then had gone out as the spade clip had arced. A request and several emails followed this up for replacement with a new bilge, which was never carried out.

6. Re: Raha - Fire damage

Quote Originally Posted by Sean

Didn't you guys know that Molotov cooking of Camels is SOP here?
    Hey Bubba,

I kinda went out on a limb with that camel poke, but I haven't met too many middle easterners named Sean so I didn't think you would take offense.

Now that I see your use of the acronym SOP (seared oily possum), I figure you're there on the American plan.

Good luck on restoring your Hatt.

Sean- check your private message board. I sent you a PM

CapetaniosG

8. Re: Raha - Fire damage

Hi Sean,

Sorry to hear about your fire. Have no fear your Hat can be like new. There is also companies that specialize in shipping yachts around the world, so in case you need to evacuate the boat and get her to a yard capabable of doing the repairs. To answer some of your questions, All wiring should be tinned, multi-strand copper wire of the appropriate size for the voltage and ampereage for the load. ABYC standards will specify the color and type of wire. The first thing to do is clean up and then assess what needs to be removed. Were the engines compromised? Did they use fresh water to fight the fire or salt water? There are steps you should take immediately to purge water out of some things so they can be salvaged. Anyone on the forum know more about these steps than me? Please post if you can.

Click on the refurb link below to see how far we stripped my boat. It can be resurrected, maybe you will rename her the "Phoenix"
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

SOP went right over my head ( help )
    1.Windows :well in the salon they don't realy need to open , no one ever does
    so go with 1/2 inch lexan bullet prof and cheaper with no open option .
    2. wiring well sometimes out at sea people do crazy things to fix the problem but then when back in port forget to fix it right, thats what sucks about drinking
    3. but we will adopt you as our rag headed step child ( I mean red ) and we'll hold your hand thru the proceses.
    Good to have you aboard
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

10. Re: Raha - Fire damage

Carl, SOP is Standard Operating Proceedure, (military acronym)
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com