Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Is there a DVD on diesel maintenance?

OK, I admit it, I am NOT a mechanic. I have replaced the water impellers on the mains and genset. Have also replaced belts,done oil changes and radiator fluids replaced my oil filters and fuel filters (remember my thread about breaking my ribs back in March).
    The junior college here FOR YEARS had a basic diesel course but of course when I went to sign up for it, it had been discontinued.
    Called Detroit Diesel here in Florida and they do have a 3 day course, which will cost me a fair amount, plus motel and food and travel. Plan on doing it sometime "within a year" or so.
    But went to Google and tried to see if there were any DVDs that I could buy as I have no idea what to do if an injector went bad...... Heat exchangers? See questions asked all the time about them........
    Manuals are nice but if I could see something on a tape, it sure would be easier to follow.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

2. Re: Is there a DVD on diesel maintenance?

Check out this manual, it is a good start to trouble shooting, while it is written for trucks, the diesel basics are the same. You have to start somewhere. Marinized engines just have extra stuff. There are no "Marine Diesels for Dummies" books out yet. http://www.themotorbookstore.com/medutrdiencl.html

and

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/marineengines.html
    Last edited by Boss Lady; 08-22-2006 at 09:51 PM. Reason: add
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Re: Is there a DVD on diesel maintenance?

Yes, there is - only it's VHS. I bought it at West Marine when I bought my boat. Pretty basic stuff but it's a good primer on the workings of diesels.

Send me a PM with your address and I'll mail it to you.

Re: Is there a DVD on diesel maintenance?

Not that you might not find a video initially helpful in a very general way, but the DD service manual is fairly clear and easy enough to follow. Obviously if you don't feel qualified to tackle cylinder re-sleeving, you don't have to do that!

The manual and some decent tools will allow you to do anything you want. These DDs appear imposing but they are very simple designs and are technically pretty easy to work on. Physically they can be a chore because some items are quite heavy compared to a car - the starter's a good example!

You should have the service manual on board (two volumes) in any case. If not to do the work yourself, to allow you to see what the mechanic SHOULD be doing. The operator's manual is also handy. I don't think you need the parts manual(s) but if you need something heavy to hold open a door or something, they're perfect!

http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/detroitdiesel/
    Last edited by MikeP; 08-26-2006 at 08:15 AM.

5. Re: Is there a DVD on diesel maintenance?

What knowledge are you looking to gain? According to your original post, you are not a mechanic. All the basic skills needed to do mechanical repairs should be contained in the automotive course that you CC probably does teach. Basic trouble shooting skills, and using tools like torque wrenches properly. Any basic engine rebuilding course should give you a good basis to move on to diesels. Almost everything you would learn would apply to working on you own engines and mechanicals. All the components are the same in theory, this is where the specific manufacturers manual comes into play. Each fastener has a definite proper tightness that must be applied, this is what a torque wrench is used to do. There are general guidelines by fastener size and type, but you should follow the manufacturers guidelines when available. The OEM manuals list specials tools.

The bottom line is that you will not learn this without getting your hands dirty. None of this is difficult, but the amount of simple things that you must know before attemping more extensive repairs takes time to amass. Start with the simple things and work your way up. Taking courses will give you the understanding, then you must use the knowledge and obtain the tools needed. You can learn enough from the books so that you will know if your real mechanic is trying to get over or is incompetent. Just because a man has a tool box, does not automatically make him a "mechanic".
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com