Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: new 36c owner, considering cummins 370b repower

Well I can tell you that you will love the Cummins. I was in a similar situation. I have a 34c with Cummins 504s 12-14 kt cruise. Repowered with Cummins 330b's it is a new boat smoother, quieter and a LOT Faster. Just did a overnighter in the canyon 4 guys full of fuel 800 lbs of ice and a load of gear 21-22 kts@ 2380 rpm. The crew was blown away by the change and we went farther and faster and burned less fuel.
    You should replace the gears Tom Slane has been doing 36c with 1.75 to 1 with great results he also keeps the 1.5 shaft it should be A22 .
    I was thinking of this for me but the 36 has a little my room for a 22' wheel I can only go to 21" so decide to stay 1.5. also you will want a 10 degree down angle and Tom Slane says in a 36C 10 degree you need to add the water line from turbo to the expansion tank.
    As for Insulation I did not get to do mine yet and with only rug it is pretty dam quite so you can always do that later since it can add up $$$$.
    As for 330 or 370 just remember 25 kts will be the top cruise anything more gets scary unless you are willing to cut the keel!!
    Good luck with it.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

We are going to have enough of these boats to have a "36 Hatteras Series I Repowered With Cummins Engines" rendevous all by ourselves, come this spring. JW, this will be held at your house for the first go-round, my house next year

All kidding aside, after our (very positive) experience in Solomons this past weekend, I am inclined to try again for a Hatteras rendevous this coming summer at Solomons. I will post something during the winter about this. I don't expect (although I would be very gratified to see) boats from Florida, but I will do this with enough advance notice that anyone who wishes to attend will be able to. I have to work it out around holidays and the Classic Yacht Club schedule. Watch this space for further details. All interested parties welcome, Hatteras ownership optional, just like last time.

Chris, I'll make the same offer as Mike. I was wondering why I have'nt seen the boat at the dock lately! You seem to have a good idea what you want to do. One point I'll add, cahnge your hydrolic lines at the rudder piston!! One of mine let go when we in the Bahamas in June. We had to run 45 mile with no steering! After Kathy got over her initional reaction..."WE LOST THE STEERING??????????" she calmed down and said "o.k. we can do this." We ran the 45 miles at 17/19 kts to keep away from some storms. I was glad I have the Smart Craft display so I could watch the engine load and back down the engine that was getting too high.
    e-mail kathy_l@adelphia.net if you would like to get together to discuss the "OLD GIRLS". Maybe all of us could meet at Shrimpers some time. John

You're on to something John, we could fill up Shrimper's dockage with old 36's one afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike36c
    You're on to something John, we could fill up Shrimper's dockage with old 36's one afternoon
    that sounds like a great idea. 'change order' will look like the ugly step-child next to 'kathy l' and 'mikey likes it' but that just gives me me a goal to work towards.

there's another series I 36c that i've seen in the pocket, not including the chapman school boat 'chappy' - i forget the name but it's white with a green awning in the cockpit, i think it's repowered with yanmars, and maybe out of palm city. so thats 5 at least in pretty close proximity, 3 (soon) repowered with cummins.

john i appreciate the offer and i'd love to see what you've done on the 'kathy l'. when i'm back from jersey maybe we can all get together at shrimpers - it's a short walk over to salerno marine if you want to see the 'before' version of 'change order'.
    chris maroney
    1974 36c
    stuart, fl

Can I attend this if I fly down? I can't take the two or three weeks off that it would take me to get down there by water....

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal
    Can I attend this if I fly down? I can't take the two or three weeks off that it would take me to get down there by water....
    jim you're welcome anytime, you've got a room reserved and a place for 'blue note' if you decide to come by water
    chris maroney
    1974 36c
    stuart, fl