Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Forum categories

Let me say that I have been an active member of the forum going on 4 years now. Most of these questions were sorted out when we transitioned from EZ Board to our current format.

My personal view is to not fix what is not broken. The forum works in it current form. Perhaps a sticky note should be posted reminding members of posting etiquette. I think that alone would resolve many of the concerns mentioned above.

I have been a member and a hatt owner for four years. I log on this site at least once a day. I find the information on this site and @ sams Marine VERY helpfull. I have at times started a thread or made comments. I have no problem with a non related hatt topic. And I feel this site should go in any direction that Sams Marine or its senior administrators see fit.
    That being said, when a member of this site makes several threads in a short period of time and half of the posts are negative comments and the other half are threads apologizing for making negative comments than Maybe the only change that needs to be made is that members attitude'

Newinlet

I like the new set up. I want to see Hatteras or boating issues. Some of our members like to "visit" or "socialize" with each other. This gives both groups the opporpunity to do this. I checked both sections today and probably will most of the time. When time is an issue, I'll go to the Hatteras technical side.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

4. Re: Forum categories

While I truly didn't think there was anything wrong with the previous format, I like the new one better as well. I just never understood what all the fuss was about especially when cruising threads became the source or irritation for some members. That left the nagging question, why do these guys own a boat?

I realize that some members got a little miffed with me when I came onboard. I posted as if I were sitting around at the marina with a bunch of Hatteras owners who just enjoyed talking about their boats and all the things associated with boaters. Truth is, I didn't know that was improper until I had it pointed out to me. I tried to conform, but I'm just not an all nuts and bolts kind of guy.

The guy who responded before you was obviously one of the miffed members. I was taught to apologize to folks who got upset even if I didn't feel like I had done anything to be sorry for. It's called keeping the peace. I just come from a part of the country where folks are more civil to each other. We pull guys in who have engine problems, we share gas or diesel when they run out, and we'll loan beers to thirsty people. We know our time will come to be on the receiving end of such things as that.

Thanks again Doug for the new playground. Looks like we now can all have our cake and eat it too.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal
    as much as i dont feel strongly about split the main forum, i feel VERY strongly against stopping non owners from posting (whether starting or replying to threads).

doens't make any sense, no benefits... this is one lousy idea for many reaons but the biggest one simply because dozens of "owners to be" have asked questions here and got great advice from owners helping them in making the right decisions... myself included.

as to splitting forums, looking at some of the recent threads, maybe it's not a bad idea as long as we keep it hatteras related... ex the following recent threads coudl have be posted in that new forum :
    -detox
    -erie canal
    -hatt's off
    -best looking
    -sinking
    -cummins
    -stolen boat
    although i dont think it shoudl become an anything goes forum... but it woudl unclutter the true hatteras forum.
    I realize I am a little late replying to this, but here goes. I am the guilty party that posted "stolen boat" to alert all of you East Coast/Florida members to be on the lookout and possibly help a fellow boater locate his boat (it was found in Brunswick, GA). This is such a great group of folks, and it honestly never crossed my mind that the post was inappropriate for this forum. I apologize if the post violated the forum rules.

That being said, I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who are so willing to share your knowledge and experience. I found this site when we began shopping in 2003 (purchased Slow Lane in 2004) and it has been an invaluable source of information. Due to Tim's busy schedule, he is unable to regularly visit the forum, so I print threads for him that pertain to our issues and interests. I have little to contribute (I guess I'm a lurker? ewwww!) but have gained so much from this forum.

And I guess now I'm a hijacker, too! As a non-contributor, I haven't earned the right to voice an opinion on the format, but apparently the new non-tech area is good for people like me.

Thanks to all and hope to meet you someday.

Julie

julie

no need to appologize, there was nothign wrong with that thread... they now have a place where they really belong.

lurker, non contributor... where are these labels coming from :-) any registered user who enjoys reading posts here is welcome...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal,

The labels are self-imposed - just poking fun at myself.

Thanks for your kind words.

Julie

Randybird, ole buddy, I'm sure there are many things you're good at, but I'm pretty certain keepin' the peace ain't one of 'em! Howard in west Michigan

I liked the forum before and I still like it now. Thanks Sams.. I buy from Sams Marine because of the way they have always treated me. Very understanding and always courteous. We should all conduct ourselves like Sams.

Quote Originally Posted by julesallyn
    And I guess now I'm a hijacker, too! As a non-contributor, I haven't earned the right to voice an opinion on the format, but apparently the new non-tech area is good for people like me.

Thanks to all and hope to meet you someday.

Julie
    Welcome aboard Julie (and Tim), just jump in on a thread at the "Sandbar" and have some fun, everyone is welcome, even hijackers! Ask all the questions you want, these guys enjoy sharing. Opinions, oh we never see those at the "Sandbar", come share a few of yours, no doubt you'll see plenty of responses and you might even have a few laughs along the way.