Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Forum categories

Quote Originally Posted by FREEBIRD
    Jason,

The suggestion I made (not allowing non-owners to START a thread) would, in my opinion, eliminate unwanted posts that do not pertain to this forum.
    Who determines if the post is unwanted? If a potential buyer is asking about the boat they're looking at...it certainly pertains to this forum. The suggestion you made represents such a small number of threads...and I happen to enjoy those people who are curious and excited about buying their first Hatteras.

as much as i dont feel strongly about split the main forum, i feel VERY strongly against stopping non owners from posting (whether starting or replying to threads).

doens't make any sense, no benefits... this is one lousy idea for many reaons but the biggest one simply because dozens of "owners to be" have asked questions here and got great advice from owners helping them in making the right decisions... myself included.

as to splitting forums, looking at some of the recent threads, maybe it's not a bad idea as long as we keep it hatteras related... ex the following recent threads coudl have be posted in that new forum :
    -detox
    -erie canal
    -hatt's off
    -best looking
    -sinking
    -cummins
    -stolen boat
    although i dont think it shoudl become an anything goes forum... but it woudl unclutter the true hatteras forum.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal
    although i dont think it shoudl become an anything goes forum... but it woudl unclutter the true hatteras forum.
    Pascal,

Who is going to determine what goes? Are we going to turn into the forum on BoatUS? Or are we going to have moderators regulating 24-7?

Randy,

What about the boats wanted section? Now no one can post what boat they are looking for unless they already have one???

Just my .02. No more from me.

Jason
    Last edited by J's Dream; 08-17-2006 at 09:15 PM.

4. Re: Forum categories

Quote Originally Posted by J's Dream

Randy,

What about the boats wanted section? Now no one can post what boat they are looking for unless they already have one???

Just my .02. No more from me.

Jason
    Jason,

One more thought, and that will do it for me as well. I'm not sure I understand your thinking on boats wanted.

For one, I doubt that there would be a response to a boat wanted ad posted by a non-owner from an owner who doesn't already have his boat listed on the site. Second, the non-owner can't list his non-Hatteras as being for sale on the site.

Forgive me if I somehow missed your point. But as Forrest said, "that's all I have to say about that".
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

5. Re: Forum categories

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal

Pascal,

One more point on your take, and I'm finished with you too!

How can ANYTHING you do as a Hatteras owner while on a Hatteras yacht not be a topic of discussion on a Hatteras owners forum?
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

6. Re: Forum categories

I am strongly against locking the forum to non-owners.

For one thing, how do you prove ownership? DOC lookup? Who's going to administer that? What if you state-register instead of documenting? Most of those records are not public. Now what?

Second, someone thinking of buying should have the same access as someone who has bought, IMHO. I don't see the argument for that sort of exclusivity in "the club".

Third, its not been a problem up until now, nor can I see it being one in the future.......

Anyway, my 2 cents..... keep it was it is.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

7. Re: Forum categories

I like the forum the way it is. I look at all new posts, and if I feel I have something to contribute I will post, if I don't have an interest or cannot contribute something to the discussion, I sit on the sidelines and watch the fray. It can be great entertainment, and just like TV channels, i can go watch something else more interesting, if it is a dry topic. The main thing is that the forums serve the interests and needs of the users. Where else can you find about 10 recommendations for a 35 year old neon bulb? I happen to like the Ladies and Gentlemen who make up this group of afficianados for Classic Hats. We will hit a few bumps along the way as new members join the group, but as long as we continue to focus on why someone would want to hang out in the looney bin, we can always work things out and even make new friends. Some people are opinionated, that is just life, I happen to like the challenges presented and watching how we as a group come up with answers. We have our super stars, and our own class clown, and our great sponsor "Sam's", so I think that the forum should stay the same.

cheers!
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Jason

same rules as now, just have the non strictly hatteras threads (like those listed) in a different section to unclutter the forum.

overall, just like now, threads should be related to hatteras and their use.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Okay, a couple of issues have popped up here that I didn't anticipate.

Barring non-owners? Karl a.k.a. Genesis doesn't own a Hatteras right now (Yes, he needs to update his profile) Something that we hope he'll remedy soon, but, you're going to ban him from posting? I think not. I could edit my profile right now to say that I own a 2006 50C (I not only want to live in Theory, I have this really cool fantasy world too) Who's going to police this?

Search says we've got around 300 non-owner members, including the administrator. Many of them have something to contribute, Sea Eric, Red Hatt, Tony Athens, Passages, Mario G, just to pick a few off the non-owner list. Maybe some of these people just need to update their profile, but even if they're correct we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot to kick these people off. For these and other reasons stated previously I have no problem with non-owners being involved. It's an elite group as it is, we don't need to make it more exclusive.

Non-Hatt related threads. I don't think I've ever seen a thread booted unless it was really inappropriate. It's a pretty nice community we have here, if something wanders off topic it's usually not a problem. Some of them are really interesting. That being said, I wasn't suggesting that we turn this into a general boating forum. Hatteras is our identity, and IMHO what makes this forum unique. Again, I think we'd do ourselves a disservice if we changed that.

My intent in floating the question was to try to make the forum easier to use, especially for the new guys. When I found the forum I spent a lot of time reviewing all the threads from day one to familiarize myself with the way things were done around here. If I started today it's unlikely that I'd be able to do that. At the rate we're growing, it will be impossible very soon. I think the user guide will go a long way toward reducing new duplicate threads and making members aware of how to maximize the resource we have here. Clearly, over categorizing will not improve things either. I was hoping that some member input would help identify if there were specific areas that could be grouped. Engine information or boat systems categories for example.

Another thought was that a social or travel category might help is to enhance member contact. Threads on organizing a group cruise, for example, are a great way for members to meet. If there was an area for social activities, i.e. "Hey guys, I'm going to be in West Palm Beach to visit the in-laws, is there anybody in the area who'd like to get together for lunch or dinner?" Or "I'm planning a trip to Maryland, anybody know any marinas to stay at? - Yes, here's one and while you're there stop by." Again, this is a pretty elite group, we have something in common and I for one, have made some really nice social contacts here. I thought encouraging this would be a benefit to our "community."

And finally (I know. When's this guy going to get off the soapbox?) if we think it may need to be reorganized, at the rate this is growing it would be better to do it now. It may already be too much of a can-o-worms. However, since the "red-headed-stepchild" seems to be the only member who really feels strongly about it.... Hey, I wasn't married to the idea, I just thought it deserved some discussion before it got overwhelming.
    Last edited by Avenger; 08-18-2006 at 10:49 AM. Reason: typos
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

While I did choose to name the forum "Hatteras Owners Forum" when it was started, it was never intended to be exclusive to those who presently own a Hatteras.

Past, present, and future owners are now and will always be welcome. Others who have close ties to the Hatteras community and have things to contribute are also welcome.

It's really a mute point anyway because I have absolutely no way to enforce it.

Sam's Marine is honored to facilitate this resource and converse with those on the forum who are Hatteras owners and those who aspire to be.
    Last edited by administrator; 08-18-2006 at 01:31 PM.
    Doug Langley, Forum Admin
    Sam's Marine International
    http://www.samsmarine.com