Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: On the hard

On the hard

Well folks it's about that time of year to start the process of pulling the boat for the season. You lucky sun belt captains may wish to move on to the next topic but all opinions are most welcomed.

I'm looking for the pros and cons of storing in heated -vs- outside. Price or availability is not the issue for either or, rather what is best for the boat.

I've been told the cold air outside aids in drying what ever is wet on the inside of the boat (my first thought was what about freezing?)

I've done both in the past.
    Mike Stailey
    1978 43 DC/FB

Re: On the hard

Most of the yards in Chicago gaurantee (?) 50 deg F for heated inside storage, AT A PREMIUM. My gas boat is inside COLD at Seneca, IL for $700 plus moving.Sure beat 2 days of building a frame and tarping. Still had to winterize tho. I wouldnt trust a heated building here-- what about a power loss etc??? The only cold/damp damage I ever encountered was a mildewed life ring-- thats what TILEX is for. Good Luck, sow bunny !!! ws ( snow bird now )

Thumbs up Re: On the hard

Yikes! It's that time of year already??
    Anyway....I've been inside cold for the last 10 years without any real issues. When I put her away, I always make sure to open EVERY hatch, cabinet & door and leave about 4 Damp Rids inside. Then about 1/2 way thru winter, I make a special trip up to "visit" and replace the Damp Rids.
    The only real "problem" I have had is if I pick a really warm day in early April to attempt to wax the hull, there's usually some moisture on it which makes waxing a bit difficult.
    I also agree that I woud winterize the boat regardless of heated or not...a loss of power and frozen water will do extensive damage!
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

Pulling my boat out for winter....what a truelly depressing thought....

You poor souls.....
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

does your season really end this early? When does it start getting cold in MI?
    The Traveler
    1969 53' Classic MY
    Scott Prosser

Most start the pull after Labor day, thru Sept. My marina states all boats must be out of the water no later than Oct 15 which is 8 weeks away. Considering most of the marinas around here pretty much have the same policy (the ones I know of) you need to start to get in line. My marina has already sent the winter contracts and wants them signed and sent in with the initial deposit by the end of this month.

Yep, it sucks but a fact of life.
    Mike Stailey
    1978 43 DC/FB

I store inside heated in IL. But I don't go into storage until first of November. I enjoy fall boating as much or more than summer.
    With inside heated I am able to spend weekends doing maintinance and other projects on the boat. This winter I plan on installing teak floors. It's nice to walk into the building on a cold winter day and pull off the heavy coat to shirt sleeves and spend the day working on the boat. I also enjoy my winter projects on the boat almost as much as summer boating. I don't think I would like to be in a area with year around boating season, because even with our 7 month season here at the end of the season I feel I am getting behind on maintaince. When the season ends I am happy and look forward to 5 months of just me and the boat and my tools with no guests around.
    The building I store in has a backup generator so I don't winterize. It cost $5000.00 for the winter for my 48MY. But no shrink wrap or systems winterization make it reasonable. In all it is well worth for me.
    Chris

I guess you're right.....Oct 15th is the end for me as well, just felt like that was a world away but as you point out, it's not that far!
    The Traveler
    1969 53' Classic MY
    Scott Prosser

I'm out Oct 15 to April 15 and in heated storage. I love the heated barn because I can go work on the boat at anytime in just jeans and t-shirt. I can paint the bottom, wax, or any project where I am. The only requirement is that you tarp if you are sanding or making any mess. I spent about 250hrs last winter installing new toilets and revamping the heads. With the heat I was able to wallpaper and put down new flooring too.

I also think heating actually aids in drying. My hull had a rash below the waterline from the PO always storing in the water bubbled. After one winter on the hard with a heated floor under her, the rash was gone. I expected to see it again in the fall, but it never came back.

It's also nice to plug her in and turn on the stereo and stand at the helm and dream of spring.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Absolutely better in heated storage. Same as Sky - I have gotten a lot of work done in the barn from 11/1 to 4/7. Heated air is dryer than outside cold air so it dries things out better. This year we're going to Florida instead, and will finish the circle route up the east coats and back to Chicago next summer.