Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shaft log - stuffing

Since I've owned the boat...I really have never seen any water in my starboard bildge. I never seem to take on even the slightest amount which makes me nervous b/c I know that the shaft logs are supposed to drip a little bit...especially when running. So, I started loosening the shaft log bolts bit by bit. I ended up undoing about 3 to 4 full turns and still nothing...no water dripping. I still have a bit I can go with loosening before nut starts to reach end of bolt...but not too much. Should I keep loosening until water or is this a sign of some bigger problem with my stuffing?

conversly, my port engine drips quite a bit....and those bolts are tightened down to the point of where I don't have much bolt left I don't think. I'm guessing both sides (and my rudders) need to be repacked but that won't happen until late fall. Am I ok for now (especially since I'm planning 12 day cruise)? what are my next steps?

thanks!
    The Traveler
    1969 53' Classic MY
    Scott Prosser

2. Re: Shaft log - stuffing

They can be repacked in the water - just make sure you have your tools and such all ready to go (including the new packing) before you start.

I've done it many times - the water doesn't come in that fast, and so long as your pumps work, if there's a problem and you need to go get something, you can stuff a rag in the open stuffing box and keep it to a trickle while you go get whatever it is you need.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: Shaft log - stuffing

Meanwhile, I would snug that one you backed off 3 or 4 turns back down. No doubt, the rings are simply set in place and you don't want them to suddenly loosen up. Have you put your hand on the non-dripper when running? I wouldn't be concerned with no-dripping if it is running cool.
    Gary

I saw different types of stuffing (sizes and makes) available at my local parts store....any recommendations?
    The Traveler
    1969 53' Classic MY
    Scott Prosser

per my normal routine....I asked question and then searched for previous posts....found great threads on this subject. thanks!
    The Traveler
    1969 53' Classic MY
    Scott Prosser

if it ain't broken, dont fix it ! :-)

that said, when i loosen mine the drip rate increases. maybe yours is nice and tight and will not "relax" unless the shaft turns. I'd be concerned about loosening too much and then running the boat without monitoring the dripping.

as gary said, check underway to make sure it doens't run too hot; if it doesnt and doesn't leak, you are a lucky man :-)

I like the "virtually" dripless GFO packing. Much easier to install since it doesn't need any sticky grease... and works as advertised : virtually dripless.

http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products...g/packing.html

you can repack while the boat is in the water, make sure you have the packing picking tool (flexible corkscrew) . it will leak but nothing your pump can't handle.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Scott, When Leon first bought your boat, early in his ownership he had some headache with one or the other of those packings leaking. It finally got straightened out, after a fair amount of messing with it. Like Pascal said, If it ain't broke....

good point.....I guess I am one of those hyper paranoid people that likes to try to do everything in advance of problem to eliminate problem from occuring. I think this is one demon I should leave alone for now....there are PLENTY of other issues requiring my attention pre-cruise!
    The Traveler
    1969 53' Classic MY
    Scott Prosser

make sure you have some packing on board and the picking tool... check the temp while underway after a while just to play it safe... and enjoy the trip!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have to agree with Pascal, the GFO packing use much easier to use and it works as advertized. From now on it's all I'll ever use and it's well worth the price.
    Last edited by 31FlyCruzr; 08-18-2006 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typo
    Bill