Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 53' Hatteras USCG Documentation

Gross and net tonnage will not be the same from boat to boat even for identical boats. It is not a weight it is a calculated value based on the boats dimensions including depth. These values get reported incorrectly all the time and besides it is being calculated by a government agency, do I need to say more. If you can get either the document number or the hull I’d number you can get that particular vessel grows and net tonnage on line.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Gross and net tonnage will not be the same from boat to boat even for identical boats. It is not a weight it is a calculated value based on the boats dimensions including depth. These values get reported incorrectly all the time and besides it is being calculated by a government agency, do I need to say more. If you can get either the document number or the hull I’d number you can get that particular vessel grows and net tonnage on line.
    Thanks, that makes sense, unfortunately. My boat was documented, was deleted.... Let me see what I can find.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 10-16-2020 at 03:41 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Mine is 39 GT.

It really matters when it comes to licenses as for a Master the CG will take the GT of the boat you have the most sea time on and multiply this by 1.5 then round it up to the next level. So 39GT x 1.5 is 58.5 which is good enough for 100 GT license. If it was 32 for instance you be out of luck and only get 50GT license

Same with the 200 ton license. I got lucky the 70 footer I used to run was 71 GT.... x 1.5 put me just above the threshold to get 200T
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Mine is 39 GT.

It really matters when it comes to licenses as for a Master the CG will take the GT of the boat you have the most sea time on and multiply this by 1.5 then round it up to the next level. So 39GT x 1.5 is 58.5 which is good enough for 100 GT license. If it was 32 for instance you be out of luck and only get 50GT license

Same with the 200 ton license. I got lucky the 70 footer I used to run was 71 GT.... x 1.5 put me just above the threshold to get 200T
    EXACTLY why I am pursuing this.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    EXACTLY why I am pursuing this.
    With a 53 MY you ll get 100GT right away.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    With a 53 MY you ll get 100GT right away.
    If you have enough days on it.......
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Yes. What is unclear is the ratio between the bigger boat and prior older boat. I believe this is left to the discretion of the issuing office. If 90% of your sea time is on smaller boat, the 10% on the 53 may not be enough. If a significant portion is on the larger boat it should be. Not sure. My sea time for the 100T was about 75% on the Hatt and 25% on a 39 footer. Maybe worth calling the USCG or serve for more info, and possibly wait a few months for the ratio to be more favorable
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat