Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Discussion Forums

This post is not intended to stir the pot, but I know we have had some issue on this forum reguarding posts. Is it possible to get a "general discussion" fourm that does not pertain to anything. Just pure discussion where the people can discuss things non boating/hatteras related.

I hate to see this site have members who are not happy, or willing to perticipate because of how they feel about other members. Just a thought, may be it not possible, but somthing for thought. This could be where people could talk about anything as long as it is in the correct area within reason.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

2. Re: Discussion Forums

One of the challenges with a site like this is defining its mission in a sufficient fashion.

The creation of such an area may appear to be a solution, but in fact I suspect it would turn into even more of a problem, as that would serve as encouragement.

On my own forum I take an entirely different view (and have an area for posting just about anything.... so long as its not profane.) But that's a completely different mission, a different focus, and, a different view of what my forum should be compared to this one.

I do not like exercising the retroactive moderation authority that I (and a few others) have, but I will if I must...... this is a unique resource, and should stay that way.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: Discussion Forums

I had not looked at it from that perspective, but that makes sense.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    Visit My Website

4. Re: Discussion Forums

Hey Pat and Karl,

Hope I haven't become the proverbial red-headed stepchild of this site. Like I've said in earlier posts, I tend to pick at people a little bit, but not in a manner that is offensive (at least IMHO).

However, I do think boating is supposed to be fun, whatever level of boating that may be. I suppose as Hatteras owners, we are going to be stereotyped by some of the less fortunate. Based on what I've seen on this forum, some Hatt owners are of the "Grey Poupon" variety who would be in grave danger of drowning if they ventured into a heavy rainstorm without their umbrellas. These "pinky extended" drinkers come across as elitists who simply glance down from the bridge at their Bayliner ownin' brethren of the sea. Not exactly the image I would chose to portray.

Some of us, on the other hand, are just good ole' boys who have been blessed with the opportunity to own toys like the rich and famous. We just enjoy boating and happen to be doing it in high style. We'll offer that ole' boy in the Bayliner an invitation on board and a cold drink to boot! We'll even stop and tow that ole' boy to shore when his boat breaks down. But that's just the way we do it here on "The River". Sea Tow operators are awful lonely up here! Others should take note, you may find yourself on the wrong end of a tow rope one day. Like we say here in the South, "what goes around comes around".

Hey Karl, do you think I should post the above for all to see, or do you think it would be viewed as too controversial? You appear to represent a good balance between these two types of Hatt owners (but I'll bet when the uppity fellers are gone, you're one of us bubba), so I will take your advice on whether or not to post this on the general forum. Meanwhile, I still have your phone number, and I'll look you up when I head towards Destin. We'll have dinner and a drink if you like, but I won't tell anybody if you don't. After all, you have a reputation to protect!
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

5. Re: Discussion Forums

I don't know where you get the idea that any of us are - or were "Grey Poupon" guys. And by the way, its darn good mustard.

This site exists primarily as an extension of Sam's Marine. What does Sam's do? Keep older Hatts on the water with genuine parts and advice.

Having owned a LOT of boats, I can say with certainty that there is no issue in any of that which does, or should, offend or offer concern. Quite the contrary. MOST brands are ready for the sawzall at 20 years. MOST Hatts are ready for their second refit, structurally sound and with only a FEW components needing significant work.

This is, primarily, a technically-oriiented site. I LIKE it that way. It is of note that the FAQ area contains essentially all technical items. This is not an error in judgement - its a good thing. IMHO there is also nothing wrong with the honest and heart-felt feedback that was rendered on some of the NEWER Hatteras designs here a year or so back - not all of which was complimentary.

This forum isn't a sales tool - at least for Hatteras. That's one of the reasons I'm here and willing to put in as much time as I am. Its a site that certainly serves Sam's interests - as a technical forum - on all things good (and not so good) about Hatteras boats.

That Hatteras sees it as a positive is testament to what this forum IS - not what it should BE. I won't be a part of a marketing-molded site, and IMHO, neither would many of our other members.

I run a forum where "essentially anything not illegal is fine" - it has a diving focus, but if you go THERE you will find much that has nothing to do with diving. It has an "off topic" area, it has a place for politics, it has a place for rants and raves at (or about) manufacturers, and it has a place to just clown around.

But that's not THIS site, nor should this site BECOME that.

I do not have unlimited time, although many people think I spend my entire day and night online. Nope. My resources are limited - I donate them here because I see something of value to the older models of a marque that I have recognized as having value beyond that of essentially every other boat builder out there, and I believe I can contribute to that.

Let's keep it that way.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Here, here!

I see nothing wrong with the site and am very greatfull for it and ALL of the members who contribute to it. And to Sam's for sponsoning it. I now would consider myself "Boat Stupid" if I didn't have this site and all the learning I've got from it in the last 2-3 yrs of participation.

The site is good the way it is, the way it has been. I've enjoyed the latest "radical" posts and don't see anything wrong with those either. To me, its all a part of what we have and have enjoyed from the beginning.

None of us own the site and we all are participants. I know that I don't have to read any post that I don't want to.

Since we're on, and off, the forum category subject; I've been monitoring our forum for a little while now, and I've read a lot of the archives. I know that when the present forum was created the decision was made by the members not to split the forum into a technical and general forum, and for valid reasons. However, as membership increases the volume of threads is starting to expand pretty rapidly. Also I see many subjects brought up as new threads that have already been covered to death. While I guess we could fault the new members for not doing their homework, the volume of what they have to sift through to find an answer is daunting. Is it time to reconsider splitting up the general discussion forum into technical, social, general or whatever categories?

I realize too that this would require someone to go back and categorize all of the old threads. No easy task, due to volume and the fact that some of the threads wander a bit off topic. We could just call it the archive and start fresh, although I don't think that would serve the purpose. Any thoughts?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Randy,

You know that your humor is not what brings up the suggestion, and I have to disagree with Karl. Grey-Pupon tastes like dog crap in a can! But that said, I made the suggestion to cover some other issues. I believe that somtimes you have to split the forums to keep the peace and let everyone have their fun. Remember, my previous life was spent in IT, so I have a little Idea how it takes to have a forum run (I emphaisize little). But what Karl said was right, if the mission of this foum is specific, then it needs to stay that way. Don't think I am ofended. I think it is great, but you also do not want to have Sam's loose customers because of a forum "posture" that could be changed by adding a discussion place for some off topic ideas. Mostly this specifically deals with the large growth that is taking place here. It is good for Sam's, but somtimes it is hard to see what people are htinking unless they express it and I was just giving my $.02
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    Visit My Website

9. Re: Discussion Forums

Once again I find myself in need of extending an apology. I never meant to imply there is anything WRONG with the site. By the way Karl, I too like "Grey Poupon" on my Ball Park franks and Vienna Sausages, but I digress.

I was merely making suggestions, not trying to stage a mutiny. I will try to refrain from making off-color remarks about some of our membership. But you have to admit, there are a few heads out there which seem to be too big for their Hatts!

Meanwhile, I suggest we all bow our heads and thank the good Lord above for the freedoms we have in this country as well as the financial ability to own nice things. Amen?
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

THAT ( BAHAMAS ANYONE )THRED WAS MINE I'M KINDA NEW TO THE SITE SO I DON'T KNOW IF IT HAS CHANGED MUCH BUT I CAN SAY IT'S SEEMS TO HAVE A NICE BALANCE OF INFO AND FUN . I FIND MYSELF WORKING ON THE BOAT MORE THAN CRUIESING ON HER SO SOME TIMES IT'S NICE TO TAKE A MENTAL VACATION OR TALK ABOUT CRUISEING AND MEETING OTHER HAT OWNERS I HOPE IT WAS OK