Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Charity Case

Charity Case

We all have a freind or relative in our life that needs help. Some of us (incuding myself) have been that been that guy in need at some point in our lives. Anyway, a friend of mine who has a sad story is now living on a 1970 Hatt 41 DC that he receintly acquired. While in tansit from Norfolk to New Bern, NC, he some how sheared the starboard rudder completely off and knocked the starboard strut loose. After diving on the boat this evening to asess the damage and packing 5200 around the strut bolts, I informed my friend of the seriousness of the damage and helped him plan for immediate haul out.

Anyway, the short of the long is he is in need of a rudder. I was going to post this on the page for items wanted and for sale but I figured it would get more attention here. So, if you happen to have one collecting dust and turning green in the garage or bilge and are willing to part with it or even "donate to a charity case", please let me know.

As for me? I am still hunting for my Hatteras but still having much fun managing some refit projects and driving the big boys on someone elses nickle.

Erich Smith
    carmenanderich@cox.net

Re: Charity Case

You should call or email Tom Slane of Slane Marine in NC, he rehabs old Hatteras' and has a lot of parts laying around. You can look up his contact info on Google.

We have several rudders laying around. I'm not sure if we have one that will work for his boat or not but I'll check next week and let you know.
    Doug Langley, Forum Admin
    Sam's Marine International
    http://www.samsmarine.com

My friend has two rudders we pulled from his 1977 45c during the re-power.

Erich, if Sam's does not have this, and Tom Slane doesn't either, you might try Buck-Algonquin in Delaware. They made some rudders that Hatteras used back when. I would exhaust all the other sources, though, as you are trying to do- it will cost the most from B-A as it will be a new part. They also have rudder ports and some tie bar hardware, I think.

I checked to see if any of the ones we have laying around that have come off of other boats would work on your friend's boat but unfortunately they won't. We could supply one but the cost would be around $877.
    Last edited by administrator; 08-24-2006 at 09:37 AM.
    Doug Langley, Forum Admin
    Sam's Marine International
    http://www.samsmarine.com

Where did this happen on the trip to New Bern. I would like to know as I'm leaving N.J for my new home port, New Bern, in approx 3 weeks and want to avoid the same problem your friend had.

It occurred well out of the "channel" on the Neuse River near Oriental. Just follow the ATONs and you'll be fine.