Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Bottom Jobs, 1 coat or 2 coats

I've been checking around the Panama City area for the price of bottom jobs. One marina gave me a price of labor only $14 a foot for one coat and $11 a foot for the second coat. I called the last guy that did the bootom for me when I purchased it 3 years ago to ask how many coats he put on for the price of $1400 excluding the haul out. He stated only one coat. I asked if three years on one coat is good. He stated most only get about 2 years. My question is would a second coat give you mre time between jobs or am I still looking at about 3 years? What would be the reason for a second coat.
    Thanks in advance,
    captbuddy

Re: Bottom Jobs, 1 coat or 2 coats

My yard does one coat, but puts a second coat around the waterline and the leading edge of the bow. They consider those high wear areas.

It seems to work well, and I usuually get 2+ years per bottom job.

Bernie

Re: Bottom Jobs, 1 coat or 2 coats

That question relies on many factors, some being boat speed and the paint. Some paints are harder finish then other so one coat of one will get you the same as two coats of another. Is boat staying in water all year? I think if you are using what the yard always use's you going to have to go on their word our get more info and do some more research. Start here first of coarse!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>