Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Oil Capacity for 8v92TI

I have read a lot of my service manual, though not all of it yet. I cannot readily find the place where it gives me the capacity of how much oil I need for each engine when changing the oil. I'm sure it's buried in there somewhere, but this book is three huge three-ring binders thick and I just haven't found it yet. Ed ("egaito") is coming to Miami on Wednesday, and he's going to change the oil. I need to have an ample supply. Can anyone tell me how many gallons I need for each engine? I'd keep reading the manual, but I'm running out of time, and I'm sure somebody here knows the answer off the top of his head. Thanks.

Ang

2. Re: Oil Capacity for 8v92TI

With remote mounts for the oil filters you need about 6 gallons per engine for 6V92s; I'd expect a bit more (perhaps 7-8) for 8Vs.

If you're just doing the mains (no gears) buy 4 5-gallon pails. You'll likely use all of three and have the 4th for makeup during the next 100 hours.

If you're doing the gears as well buy 5 pails.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: Oil Capacity for 8v92TI

I wouldn't mess with the pails. It is not much more expensive to buy 1 gallon jugs and they are far easier to handle. They come 4 to a case, so get 5 cases.

And, make sure you get the proper oil. I use Exxon XD3-40wt. Others like the Shell Rotella and still others just buy the DD oil at the parts counter.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thank you. I knew I'd find an answer here quicker than I could find it in the book. We'll do the gears another time. I want get the engine oil changed, impellers changed, and coolant replaced (and properly mixed/tested!) before the weekend so we can finally leave the slip! Assuming Pascal is going to No Name Harbor this weekend like he usually does, we're planning to follow him in there for our somewhat maiden voyage (assuming back and forth to the boat yard doesn't count!).

Ang

5. Re: Oil Capacity for 8v92TI

If you have an oil change pump then the pails are a HUGE win.

If not, then do gallons.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Got the pumps!

I'll be at the boat within the hour and I can get the exact numbers for ya'.

I've got a pump too, but it really doesn't like to pump it unless you get it pretty warm(of course in Miami that shouldn't be a problem). Also, I would rather have the gallons for topping off later as opposed to part of a bucket. That's just my $.02
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

yup, its about 5.5/6.0 gal per engine.
    get yourself a geared transfer pump and use the pails...easy as pie! I gave up on burning up the reverso impellers and worrying about hot versus cold oil. The geared pump was worth ever cent of the $350 I spent.

Mike

I have a geared oil change pump and it still won't push cold oil into the engines. Just cavitates. So I drain with the warmed-up oil with the pump and then pour oil out of the 5 gal pail into the engines - PITA.

I didn't install the pump. Whoever did used pipes/hoses of insufficient diameter. But at the moment changing them is out of site on the back-burner since it's only a pain for about 20 minutes once a year!