Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Air Seps for 12V71N's

I've heard the virtues of Air Seps for years now. My '74 58TC has 12V71N's, and I am hoping to hear from someone who has installed Air Seps on theirs to see if it's worth the expense and effort to add them to a "to do" list on my "new" boat. Also, is there some special way (or any reason) to clean the stock air boxes on the blowers. This is my first experience with these engines, and I couldn't see how to do anything other than external cleaning. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Re: Air Seps for 12V71N's

If I was you I would stay away from Air Seps. Instead, the better system is the Racor CCV system. There have been several threads on this subject, in this Forum that you should read before you decide. The Air Sep system is a bad design. Go with the CCV and you'll not regret it. You can read up on it in the Racor web page. I have it on my 53MY and love it.

CapetaniosG
    Hatteras 53MY

Rather than the Airsep, install a RACOR CCV and a pair of K&N air filters. There's a lot of info on this and on the boat diesel site (http://boatdiesel.com/) re this particular subject and why the CCV is a much better and more effective design.

A good place to start on this site is by searching "Airsep" Here's a recent thread that includes a post with a couple of pics of the CCV/K&N filters: http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3890

The boat diesel site is a subscription site but is a good resource and well worth at least one year's subscription - about 25 bucks as I recall.

Unless you are pulling/rebuilding the engine, leave the airbox gunk alone. It will serve no useful purpose and may dislodge gunk that is fine where it is and put them where it won't be - in the cylinder. Just make sure your airbox drains are clear and the checkvalves are clean and working properly.

4. Re: Air Seps for 12V71N's

Thanks for the input guys. I'm a newcomer to this forum and haven't seen the threads you mention. Sounds like the Racor unit is the way to go then. I'll check them out. Thanks again.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com

I see that both Capt G and I don't have anything useful to do at 7am on Long Island!

But later this morning they will be hauling Brigadoon so I may actually have to do some work today.

But if all goes well, in addition to the bottom being painted I'll get the new Garmin speed/temp/depth transducer installed and the rudder toe-in checked/adjusted.

6. Re: Air Seps for 12V71N's

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP
    I see that both Capt G and I don't have anything useful to do at 7am on Long Island!

But later this morning they will be hauling Brigadoon so I may actually have to do some work today.

But if all goes well, in addition to the bottom being painted I'll get the new Garmin speed/temp/depth transducer installed and the rudder toe-in checked/adjusted.

Which Garmin unit did you go with? My 58TC has a cheap Apelco unit that I'll need to replace. I plan to research the transducer specs on this unit to see if I can simply replace the unit with something more substantial without having to replace the transducer. I did pick up a new Garmin GPS Chartplotter that's preloaded with all the charts of the free world. This thing is awesome (aside from putting me aground on a new shoal outside Big Sarasota Pass a couple of weeks ago). I bought it at West Marine while I was in Florida, and I got them to match an internet price I found for $1,699.00. Best money I've spent so far.

MikeP Hi! Not much to do this early, but I'm getting ready to drive to Jamaica to inspect some structural steel fabrication for a NYC project. Boy do hate driving to the city from the East end of Long Island on a Monday morning with all those East Hampton folks on the LIE.

Where do keep your boat, in Huntington? And how come you're pulling the boat out in the middle of the season? I'll be traveling to my girl's port (Rhodes, Greece) next month. Boy do I missed her. Have a good boating season, what is left of it. In Rhodes is a 12 month. Eat your heart out. Ha, ha, ha.

CapetaniosG
    Hatteras 53MY

Well, here we are on "Skamm Too" for a week of vacation. After these rain showers die out we're out of here!

Short trips this year, but beats workin'! Going to Essex, Ct. Block Island, RI and Greenport , NY.

WHOOPEE!!!

K

Home port is Brittania Marina in Northport. That may change this time next year to someplace in Mexico - tentatively looking at Manzanillo, Barre de Navidad, Zuihatanejo, or possibly La Paz.

I bought a Garmin 3010C last year and the transducer will interface to it through a Garmin GSD21.

And I'm here typing because the DIDN'T haul the boat today...