Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hatteras 53 ED 1988

I am considering buying a 53ED 1988. It has 6v-92TA Diesels with 1450 Hrs. each. Also an Onan 15Kw generator. Anyone give me an idea of the value?I'd like to have some idea of fuel consumption on the engines and the genny too. Fuel is a mite more expensive over here! Any other information ,advice and opinion I'd be more than grateful for. I'm only too aware of my woeful lack of knowledge and experience.

Thanks,
    Unable Seaman Reg.

Re: Hatteras 53 ED 1988

Value depends on the condition of the boat. I paid top dollar for a 1985 53ED two years ago, but it was a fresh water boat that had always been kept in an enclosed boathouse. I think there are enough of these boats on the market to conclude that they are somewhere between $275,000 and $400,000. The best way to determine real value is to figure out how much it would cost to return the vessel to "like-new" condition and then subtract that figure from the top end values that you see out there.

I have the same engines and a 20kw Onan. The generator consumes about 1 gal/hr on average and the 6v92's will get about 1 nm/gal at 9knots and .5nm/gal at 15knots.

We love our ED. We had originally wanted a classic 53, but when we found this boat, we couldn't pass it up because it was in such great condition for it's age. Since we boat in a cooler climate, it makes sense to sacrifice the aft deck space for more room in the salon. This boat also had the bulkhead cut out behind the pilothouse and etched glass there. It makes a big difference in the "openness" of the boat and is a help when docking to be able to see aft. Good luck in your search.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks for your information and advice am very grateful.

Reg.

4. Re: Hatteras 53 ED 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Rose
    I am considering buying a 53ED 1988. It has 6v-92TA Diesels with 1450 Hrs. each. Also an Onan 15Kw generator. Anyone give me an idea of the value?I'd like to have some idea of fuel consumption on the engines and the genny too. Fuel is a mite more expensive over here! Any other information ,advice and opinion I'd be more than grateful for. I'm only too aware of my woeful lack of knowledge and experience.

Thanks,
    Unable Seaman Reg.
    I ran across a 53ED prior to purchasing my 58TC. If memory serves, it was an '85 with 8V-92TA's and sounded like a very nice boat. The broker already had it under contract @ $215k when I found it (not sure if the deal went through, let me know if you're interested and I'll put you in touch). There is a "Boating" test on the archives for the 53ED on this site. That will give you the performance numbers you are looking for.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Randy,
    THanks for that I'll have a look on the archives. Sorry I obviously didn't make it clear I'm in England looking to buy in Spain.

English Unable Seaman Reg.

6. Re: Hatteras 53 ED 1988

Sorry bubba, my espanyole ain't good enough to help you with that one! Good luck on tracking down that Spanish Hatt though.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com