Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Bright work finishes

My dad used to love Deks Ole. It is applied similar to Cetol with a base coat called #1 and high gloss top coats called #2. Now that stuff fooled most people. After a good build up of the #2, he would always get people asking about his "varnish". I know they still make the stuff, but I don't hear of anybody using it. The best part of it was no sanding between coats.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

you're right, cetol is not varnish.. but it looks close to varnish expecially light + gloss.

here in florida, brightwork takes a beating and i dont' have time to redo it every 6 to 9 months, sanding between each coat. i prefer to use the boat !

that's the downside of year round boating, no time for projects :-)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Lady
    Be very careful with solovents and make sure that all electrical is switched off, to eliminate spark sources such as electric motors and such, also good ventilation.
    Yup, a guy at my marina was cleaning his hands with acetone inside his boat, right next to a candle....BOOM!

Can you imagine???

I went to West Marine (to pay my monthly "West tax") looking for varnish. I wanted the Epifanes, but they were out of it. On the shelf, however, was a varnish carrying the West marine label and noted to be "premium", and that label also said "by Epifanes" in smaller print. Are these two varnishes the same product and WM just wanted to market it under their name? It was only $5.00 cheaper per quart than the Epifanes. Not much savings in the big picture, but they had lots of that in stock and no Epifanes.

Also, has anyone heard of a varnish that is supposedly made in Jupiter, FL and may have the name of "Sterling" or something similar to that. Last summer, while boat shopping, I came across a 53MY that had the rails varnished with something that the broker raved about and used it on his own boat. He gave it high marks for durability in the Florida sun. I can't find Ed's notes on what this was. Sound familiar to anyone?

Ang

Quote Originally Posted by Angela
    Also, has anyone heard of a varnish that is supposedly made in Jupiter, FL and may have the name of "Sterling" or something similar to that. Last summer, while boat shopping, I came across a 53MY that had the rails varnished with something that the broker raved about and used it on his own boat. He gave it high marks for durability in the Florida sun. I can't find Ed's notes on what this was. Sound familiar to anyone?

Ang
    Ang,

Check out Signature Honey Teak, out of Port Salerno. www.signaturefinish.com
    This might be what you want...It's GREAT stuff!

Jason

What about using plain ol Minwax Spar varnish from home depot? Anyone use it.

The best stuff I used in the 90's was a Spar varnish made by MAB Paints. Problem is they no longer make it.

I am going to use the Minwax spar and build up about 8 coats from bare wood then possibly go to a high dollar varnish for the last 2. This is for the exterior of our rear bulkhead on a 34c. We have a mooring cover so it will not get alot of weather or sun.

Quote Originally Posted by J's Dream
    Ang,

Check out Signature Honey Teak, out of Port Salerno. www.signaturefinish.com
    This might be what you want...It's GREAT stuff!

Jason
    That's the stuff we had been told about! Do you use it? If so, where are you located (that will tell me the "bake in the sun factor", how old is it, and how is it holding up? From reading the info on their website, it sounds like it is not varnish which is a bit concerning to me. Does it look like varnish - can you see the grain in the wood well, etc.?

Ed remembers seeing this on a 53MY that sold (I think she sold...) within the past year - "Net Effect" out of Merritt Island, FL. Anyone here own that boat? And if so, how are the handrails holding up? She had this product on her handrails. I remember a lot about that boat, but not the exterior brightwork, in particular. Ed was impressed with it, but I just don't remember it.

Ang

Ang,
    It is my understanding that 2 guys started Honey Teak and then later split up. One of them continued running Honey Teak and the other one started his own business, Bristol Finish. They are very similar products and they do look like varnish. I have heard mixed reviews on these finishes, but I think this is due to some people not being able to get the mix ratios right (new math, you know).
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Angela
    That's the stuff we had been told about! Do you use it? If so, where are you located (that will tell me the "bake in the sun factor", how old is it, and how is it holding up? From reading the info on their website, it sounds like it is not varnish which is a bit concerning to me. Does it look like varnish - can you see the grain in the wood well, etc.?

Ang
    Ang,

I used it on a boat I was running two years ago. So far, it looks pretty good. It's on a fighting chair in Cape Canaveral, under a canvas cover. Call Tom Fabula, he owns the company. He's easy to talk to, and will answer the phone till 10pm. Tell him what you've got, and ask him flat out how it compares to say, Epiphanes or whatever. It is different than a varnish, which certainly has its pros and cons so it's entirely up to you. On my boat, outside I made the teak disappear, and interior has West's WoodPro on it. It's been on for three years and looks good, although could use a new coat. WoodPro is synthetic, but I like how easy it is to apply, and how light the wood comes out.

Jason