Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Bright work finishes

Has anyone used any finishes that work better than varnish that really lasts and looks as good? I hope there are some new inventions, since varnish looks real good and then is very labor intensive after that. I am all ears. I would like first hand use recommendations, not the slick marketing ads. Info like how many coats, how long did it last before recoat, when it ages, what does it do? Crack, peel, turn yellow/white any details would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Re: Bright work finishes

I really believe that there is no substitute for good varnish. I have tried Bristol, but the verdict is still out on that.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I switched to Bristol finish over a year ago. I applied it over a good base of CPES and four coats of varnish. So far it has proven to be bullit proof. Time will tell...

Bernie

4. Re: Bright work finishes

I have seen Bristol, but the two boats that I saw with some age on them did not look so good, one was peeling after 15 months. I do not know if it was applied properly or not. Also what about recoat when that time comes?
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish

Our Bristol finish is 3 years old. That of course is in Michigan where the boat spends 6 monts in inside heated storage. It does seem to be holding up well. Others thet have used Bristol say that it does not hold up well where people are stepping on it. Our steps to the bridge have Bristol and still look fine, only a few scratches.

Hi Boss,

Off Topic: BTW I replied to your PM belatedly - thanks for checking when you have a moment!

On Topic: I am in the process of stripping all of the interior wood of my baby Hatt, and am using 5F5 Methanol Chloride and a window scraper (razor blade) to get off the old stuff. My brother said that it would bleach the wood, but so far I haven't seen it do that.

I plan to use Epiphany varnish, which some here say is the absolute best (exception made of those who swear by Bristol). If you learn of anything better, let me know before I go too far...

If anyone here has one of the older boats with Philippine Mahoghany (darker wood) thanks for telling me if you used a stain to make it more red or if you left it natural brown. The cockpit entrance to the salon seems to be tinted and looks darn nice, the rest of the wood looks pretty darn ratty, pale brownish with washed out varnish.

Others with more recent boats, this isn't a teak interior, so the Teak Oil followed by Tung Oil sealer is out. The panels I've started stripping are seemingly solid mahoghany and not veneer - I guess they ran out of that stuff after 1963.

Quote Originally Posted by hattitude
    I switched to Bristol finish over a year ago. I applied it over a good base of CPES and four coats of varnish. So far it has proven to be bullit proof. Time will tell...
    Bernie
    Bernie,

I've heard of CPES for structural wood, but not for treating wood that would then be varnished for a good visual effect. Are you using CPES on the interior (in prevention of window/deck leak damage) or just on exterior wood exposed to lots of water?

TIA.

Richard

Yard Manager of Rybovich-Spencer swears by Interlux Schooner varnish of 5-6 coats, followed by 2-4 coats of Awlbrite 3 part varnish. I used this on my wood swim platform to excellent effect. The varnish is applied over a stain to which has been applied a couple costs of sealer.

Two notes:
    The 3 part varnish is nasty stuff and special masks must be warn and then in open air if possible.

Interlux formerly recommended against using a 2 part varnish over a single and now has upgraded to strongly recommending against it. Admittedly the Awlbrite sort of struck in to the one part schooner varnish, but the Awlbrite is tough stuff. A tiny amount of Awlbrite goes a long, long way!

Finally, after trying every bristle brush I could buy, interestly enough a high quality dense foam brush worked best by far!

Finally, I tried a couple coats of Interlux Schooner varnish on my wood handrailds, without the stain or sealer and it blew right off in a single season. This is in Michigan, but I store outside where the rails were exposed.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 07-29-2006 at 12:10 AM. Reason: type
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

8. Re: Bright work finishes

Richard I sent you a pm.

Are you sure that you have solid wood and not veneer? If it is solid wood you can sand it, and stain it to make it appear red like Honduran Mahogany or put a veneer of a different species over it. If it is veneer be very careful since that stuff is paper thin. I am not a wood working expert, I have done a few successful refinishing projects and I have also screwed up a couple. Bleached wood is easily fixed with stain, but you have to get the old sealing coat off or it will be blotchy, since the stain will not penetrate into the wood. Be very careful with solovents and make sure that all electrical is switched off, to eliminate spark sources such as electric motors and such, also good ventilation. Wood is wood, just research the species, some have high oil content and can be a problem to stain, some have toxins in them that are no fun, if you sand them. Use the finest grit sandpaper you can get away with and still remove the finish, veneers sand through very quickly and if you do the wood grain underneath will not match.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish

As a kid we (my Dad) had an all varnished teak sailboat, (Teak Lady, hull #1) and I mean ALL varnished, from the waterline to the masthead. This was before UV blocking varnishes, and he and I spent so much time varnishing instead of sailing that he sold her and bought a Thunderbird 26, because it would have broken his heart to paint her white. He was a fanatic about his yachts always being bristol in every respect.
    As a teenager, I worked in the Kettenburgh yard as a varnisher, and I've spent many many hours on my own boats since then with a camel's hair brush in my hands. This boring history is only to say that I've seen some varnish a time or two.
    I've been using the new Epiphanes varnishes after reading the glowing praise heaped upon them by practical sailor's testers, and they are by far the best I've seen yet. I haven't tried the Bristol products.
    For high traffic areas (the steps into my salon, for example) I top coat varnish with clear imron or awlgrip. Those linear polyurethanes are tougher than nails, and really hold up to foot traffic.
    There's no big secret to getting a deep, lustorous varnish job, regardless of what brand of varnish you use. Remember, no whiz bang product will ever substitute for careful prep, absolute cleanliness, and at least 12 coats. That "deep enough to swim in" look begns at 30 coats.
    Quit talking about it and get to it.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

10. Re: Bright work finishes

I am thinking about using a clear polyester coating (two part), it is truly waterproof, tough as nails, but if it ever has to be removed it is real work to get off. It goes on thick for that wet look. I do not relish doing umpteen coats of varnish. I used to enjoy doing it, but I can no longer spend hours down on my knees to do it. Old Army injuries catching up to me. So I am looking for better solutions.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish