Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rope hangers?

Rope hangers?

What do you all do with your ropes?

I keep ropes at all 4 corners of the boat so they are ready when under way, also when tied up the excess rope inevitable ends up on the deck.

I keep looking for some kind of rope hangers that would possibly attach to the rails.

The only thing I have found are a few different flavors of the hook & loop straps that work o.k.

Just wondering if anyone has found any good rope hangers that maybe look more like coat rack hooks or something similar? Something that can either hang on both the 1" stainless hand rail and the wood hand rails?

Sure would be nice to have a neater way to coil up the ropes.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Cool Re: Rope hangers?

I hang my ropes next to my bumpers over the side while Iím driving. Sorry couldnít resist.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Rope hangers?

First of all, my dock lines remain at my home dock when I leave. Much easier this way.

When moving from transient to transient slip, all lines and fenders are stored. Fenders may be kept on deck flipped inside for short rides but not lines. I donít want to risk one falling over and getting caught in a wheel
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My lines stay in the boxes on the bow until I leave the slip. I then set them up. 3 lines on each side so Iím ready for everything. Much less messy that way.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I feel another terminology issue arising.

Technically, not sure Bob was in error; if the ropes were not attached to a cleat.
    Just sitting in a rope locker or suspended in a rope hanger, un-attached & awaiting a use, they are ropes.
    Lengths of ropes become lines when in use.

If they were cleated at each corner of the boat, then they were lines and Bob requires a ribbing.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 05-27-2024 at 11:07 AM.

I agree with all the above. I was just busting you know what. The admiral always stores our lines on the aft deck while underway. Unless weíre going a short distance with perfectly calm seas she doesnít like the chance something might go over and get caught in the prop. Who am I to argue, Iím simply the stick jockey.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

As an old Coastie, rope is made of metal wire, and lines are not... Only suggestion I have for rope hangers besides what's already been mentioned would involve some fabrication - Maybe something along the lines of S-hooks with keepers to snap onto the rails?
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

taylor made makes white straps about 1-1/4 wide with a long loop on one end and a smaller loop on the other end both ends open with a twist lock. not sure what they are made for but i use mine to hold my antennas when i have to put them down
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

My rope hang on the garage wall and the bumpers are on my truck.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    taylor made makes white straps about 1-1/4 wide with a long loop on one end and a smaller loop on the other end both ends open with a twist lock. not sure what they are made for but i use mine to hold my antennas when i have to put them down
    I will research these. Thank you
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name