Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

C02 Fire Suppression Cert

I searched through some old threads but don't see the answer to my specific situation. I've been asked by my insurance carrier to provide a current list of approved extinguishers onboard. I noticed today that the 75# C02 tank in the starboard engine room had a recent inspection/cert date of 2021. ( I have to go back and look again to see if that was a hydro test or weight test .) FWIW...I had a USCG inspection last year and it passed based on the handhelds on board.

My question is if I maintain the required number of handhelds on board for a recreational boat <65 ft without a fixed system does that relieve me of the responsibility of certifying the fixed system?
    I realize it's in my best interest to keep it all fully operational and I intend to do so I'm just wondering what's required for insurance purposes.

Last edited by IOLANI; 03-29-2024 at 09:17 PM.
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

Re: C02 Fire Suppression Cert

Quote Originally Posted by IOLANI View Post
    I searched through some old threads but don't see the answer to my specific situation. I've been asked by my insurance carrier to provide a current list of approved extinguishers onboard. I noticed today that the 75# C02 tank in the starboard engine room had a recent inspection/cert date of 2021. ( I have to go back and look again to see if that was a hydro test or weight test .) FWIW...I had a USCG inspection last year and it passed based on the handhelds on board.

My question is if I maintain the required number of handhelds on board for a recreational boat <65 ft without a fixed system does that relieve me of the responsibility of certifying the fixed system?
    I realize it's in my best interest to keep it all fully operational and I intend to do so I'm just wondering what's required for insurance purposes.

They asked to provide the current list of extinguishers. Give them the list of current/up-to-date extinquishers. Let them tell you if that's not good enough. They don't ask for a list of expired or out of certification extinguishers, do they?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

From a surveyors perspective I would say in my report what you said that the vessel has the correct number of current fire extinguishers to meet the minimum US Coast guard requirement. But I would note in suggestions that the fixed system did not have current inspection certification, but is not a required piece of equipment.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Thanks guys. As suggested I think I'll just list the handhelds that meet USCG requirements and hope that's satisfactory. For my own benefit I'll look for a local company that can weigh the CO2 cylinder in place and get it tagged.
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI