Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Bulkhead Construction

So a sort of tangential issue to my boarding lights problem has come up. Can someone give me an idea of how the bulkheads - specifically in the salon area - are constructed? I'm likely going to need to fish new wires through the walls and I can't wrap my head around how they're put together.

From the small-diameter hole on the exterior side of the salon bulkhead (where the boarding lights are mounted), I can see into the cavity. It looks to be several inches thick, which surprised me. I was hoping the wires were just loose in the cavity but they're not loose at all - they're very securely attached to something, meaning I can't use the old wires to pull the new wires through.

Unfortunately I think that means I'm going to have to disassemble something to complete this project.
    LONE STAR
    1983 61' CPMY
    Magnolia, Texas

Re: Bulkhead Construction

my aft salon wall/bulkhead is built like a house, 2x4 studs with mozambique panels on the inside and fiberglass on the outside. the 2x4's are tabbed to the outside fiberglass. anything that runs through the 2x4's has some type of caulk where it goes through the wood. probably going to be pretty hard to use the old wire to pull new wire
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Well, crap.
    LONE STAR
    1983 61' CPMY
    Magnolia, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by adt2 View Post
    Well, crap.
    Smile when you say that.
    Not just a name, it's a great attitude..

Captain Ralph Crapps