Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

53 My with Pipe Welders davit, make it taller?

Last year I went through the exercise of building a lifting bar to lift a 13' Whaler on to the top deck. I unfortunately flubbed my engineering bending moment calculations and it bent on me LOL.

(The issue was a lack of lift height using lifting straps, need about 2' more lift roughly.)

So when doing the new calculations, I found the tube I would need just get a lot bigger and heavier.
    I wasn't real thrilled with the weight of what I had, or the fact that when you are hooking it up it wants to bang around on the fiberglass and I would have to find some way to cover it with cushions / and or canvas etc. Bottom line the whole thing is just getting too complicated.

I'm back to considering just extending the lift and making it taller. I know this could increase the bending moment on it, but I am not sure it would really change it much as it would be a vertical change. Also I can sleeve the tube to strengthen it when extending.

Just wondering if anyone has done a vertical extension on one of these, and if so, did it cause any issues?
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: 53 My with Pipe Welders davit, make it taller?

I'm thinking with the increase in height there will be more stress put on the fiberglass areas where the mast is mounted. If you feel there is adequate strength there and the mast is sleeved I think it should be fine.

Walt Hoover

Why not buy one made for the Whaler? Marquipt, YRM and UMT make them. I know Sailorman has a few used ones for sale including the one they bought from me for the 13’ Whaler that was on our boat.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Why not buy one made for the Whaler? Marquipt, YRM and UMT make them. I know Sailorman has a few used ones for sale including the one they bought from me for the 13’ Whaler that was on our boat.
    Good thinking, I will check with Sailorman!

I’ll be back in FLL tomorrow or Wednesday. I’m happy to put eyes on if needed. I stop by at least once a week.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    I’ll be back in FLL tomorrow or Wednesday. I’m happy to put eyes on if needed. I stop by at least once a week.
    Thank you, was it just a bar type spreader?
    I looked on there site and that's what I saw, they were only $85 but they also were only 6 or 8' long.
    So I am assuming those are not the one you sold them. I'm assuming the bar for a whaler would be close to the entire length of the boat?

Thank you for the info

Just raising the whole davits with more vertical tube (pipe) is a bit of added stress. Usually the vertical tube is 2 or 3 tubes inside of each other avoiding a D bend in the keeper (big tube) housing.

The one that I sold to Sailorman was maybe 4-5’ long with 2 cables on each end to attach fore and aft to the tender. At the top it had multiple holes for balancing attaching to the lift cable.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

I remember seeing a bar that bolted inside of a Whaler. There was a bracket under the front anchor locker and another on the front of the rear molded seat. The bar snapped into those brackets and the attachment point was actually below the rub rail inside of the tender. But that was 1980's technology.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Two cables go to the bow D-rings or side rail holes and two cables to the aft D-rings or side rail holes. This is the bar I was selling but I removed the bar to tender cables.
    Attached Images
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310