Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spray Rails

Spray Rails

Hello,
    Have a 67' cpmy and thinking of adding spray rails. Has anyone added them to this mdl before and if so who did you use. Looking for recommendations on length etc. Love the boat and didnt want to add them, but if there is an ounce of wind or chop we take water over the rail and you cannot sit on the bow underway.
    Thanks in advance
    "Remember"
    1988 67' cpmy
    Hull #301 (hull #1)

"Remember"
    1979 58' Y/F
    Hull #464
    https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/im...ine=1557868341

Re: Spray Rails

I have a 53MY without any spray rails and up until very recently my dad had a 58YF with the spray rails. They were optional on the bow and standard aft. I have a lot of butt-in-seat time on both and I can't tell any difference between the one with spray rails and the one without. Both throw water up over the bow like a fire hydrant in anything over about 1' chop. If there is any improvement from those spray rails it's trivial at best. The only solution on my boat is drop a knot or two off the speed and it calms down. But I don't think the spray rails do much. They do make the bow look imposing though, they look nice, they just don't stop the water over the bow.

Re: Spray Rails

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    I have a 53MY without any spray rails and up until very recently my dad had a 58YF with the spray rails. They were optional on the bow and standard aft. I have a lot of butt-in-seat time on both and I can't tell any difference between the one with spray rails and the one without. Both throw water up over the bow like a fire hydrant in anything over about 1' chop. If there is any improvement from those spray rails it's trivial at best. The only solution on my boat is drop a knot or two off the speed and it calms down. But I don't think the spray rails do much. They do make the bow look imposing though, they look nice, they just don't stop the water over the bow.
    Thank you for the insight and the analogy of the fire hydrant. We can be idol speed and if there is a 1' chop and some wind the spray comes up and over. I don't want to add them, but......
    "Remember"
    1988 67' cpmy
    Hull #301 (hull #1)

"Remember"
    1979 58' Y/F
    Hull #464
    https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/im...ine=1557868341