Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

54' EDMY - Retractable power questions

Hello all,

One of my first experiences on our new boat was with the giant octopus 50 amp shore power cables. These giant, obnoxious things sucked the life out of me and are pretty hard to store. My training captain told me about retractable cables. I did search the forums and saw a couple of posts about them, but no real guidance on how they were working.

Question. Have you seen them installed on a boat like a 54' EDMY? A year later, were you happy you did it or were there any regrets?

Any advice is appreciated.

Nathan

Re: 54' EDMY - Retractable power questions

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Glendinning makes great products, always has. Sometimes adding a Cablemaster to an already built boat can be a challenge compared to integrating one during construction, just make sure the installer knows what they're doing if you move ahead with the project.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

They re great but can be difficult to install depending on the space you have behind and below the existing inlets. Or you may have to put them in a different spot and reroute the wires inside the boat. On the plus side you eliminate the plug on the boat size which is safer.

I run my shore power cable along the weather boards on hooks so I only have to coil whatever length I need between the boat and the pedestal and secure that. This way I don’t have to handle the whole thing.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    They re great but can be difficult to install depending on the space you have behind and below the existing inlets. Or you may have to put them in a different spot and reroute the wires inside the boat. On the plus side you eliminate the plug on the boat size which is safer.

I run my shore power cable along the weather boards on hooks so I only have to coil whatever length I need between the boat and the pedestal and secure that. This way I don’t have to handle the whole thing.
    Pascal -

Could you post up a pic of your setup?

I've often thought about installing a Glendinning on my 58LRC, however, with the multitude of power locations on the 58LRC, I thought it would be a very complex and expensive project.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by nmcafee View Post
    Hello all,

One of my first experiences on our new boat was with the giant octopus 50 amp shore power cables. These giant, obnoxious things sucked the life out of me and are pretty hard to store. My training captain told me about retractable cables. I did search the forums and saw a couple of posts about them, but no real guidance on how they were working.

Question. Have you seen them installed on a boat like a 54' EDMY? A year later, were you happy you did it or were there any regrets?

Any advice is appreciated.

Nathan
    We didn't have retractable on Pau Hana. Our long-term plan was to drop it thru the foredeck hatch and store it in the V-berth lazarette. Short-term we coiled it on the deck and wrapped the plug ends. One word of caution, as an old Coast Guardsman, anything like that on deck tie it off or risk losing it.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Welcome.

I have the same 54ED model and year.

Have Glendinning Cablemaster CM7 installed on both sides of the boat. Let me know if you want pictures of where and how.

Have had them for several years and the only issue is keeping the the white power cable clean.

Rob.

Our cable master and buckets were installed in the bow anchor lockers. I have the top off the bucket in the picture for access. I was installing the freshwater wash down quick disconnect. Couldn’t find a better picture of the buckets but hope this helps.
    Attached Images
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Our cable master and buckets were installed in the bow anchor lockers. I have the top off the bucket in the picture for access. I was installing the freshwater wash down quick disconnect. Couldn’t find a better picture of the buckets but hope this helps.
    Would love more information on installing your freshwater wash down. I was pretty surprised to find our 54 EDMY doesn't have one installed.. Any information would be appreciated.

Also, our power cables are at least twice the diameter of the ones in the picture. I love this solution, but there is no way our cables can tightly coil. I might need new cables.

Thanks,

Nathan

I repurposed the through hull for my water maker (not currently installed). Installed a DC water pump in the generator room, then ran re-enforced hose up to the bow. Then simply drilled a hole in the gunnel and installed a quick disconnect.
    As far as the shore power cords, I'd be surprised on the size of your cords unless you just have one 100amp cord. My boat is a 1989 60' foot motor yacht with 2 50amp 240V shore power cords.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale