Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

20KW generator recommendations

I have redundant 20KW generators - both 1988 Onans, with >6,000 hours on the clock and sound shields. While both run well, I’m dealing with a pesky heat exchanger leak on the forward gen where basic parts are near impossible to come across. It’s beyond time to replace at least one on the onans, possibly in an upcoming yard period. Question to this experienced group - what suppliers should I be talking to if reliability and simplicity are my priorities? Northern lights seem to be the gold standard and Phasor in my homeport of Fort Lauderdale gets good reviews. Anyone else? Not totally against rebuilt or running takeout but for the effort would likely go new. Thanks in advance!

Re: 20KW generator recommendations

If the Phasor is built with simple parts like the 8.5 compact I just installed I would go that route. Do your research of course. Not sure what engine it uses. I bought from BOATSB here on the site. Decent price plus remote support. I picked it up and had it installed at a yard in St Pete.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Most, if not all of the Phasors use Kubota engines.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Northern Lights... just installed one myself ....
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL