Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Tinting the galley and salon windows in my 1992 65ft motor yacht

So, the tinting on the windows in the galley and salon of my 1992 65ft motoryacht is giving up the ghost, as in flaking and peeling off. I am in the Panama City area and had a heck of a time finding someone that would tint boat windows. Found a guy but he doesn't usually work on boats and has no idea how to get the windows out of the frames. How do we go about doing this?
    Last edited by BJones; 03-09-2024 at 08:46 PM.
    BJones
    1992 65ft Motor Yacht
    65MY129
    Atlanta, GA

Re: Tinting the galley and salon windows in my 1992 65ft motor yacht

For the sliding windows, remove the stop block at the top, remove the vertical trim that is the grab bar on the edge of the glass. Slide window to center, lift up and tilt the bottom out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    For the sliding windows, remove the stop block at the top, remove the vertical trim that is the grab bar on the edge of the glass. Slide window to center, lift up and tilt the bottom out.
    Me thinks you may have just saved me from spending a bunch of time and periodically inventing a new cuss word or two! Thanks!
    BJones
    1992 65ft Motor Yacht
    65MY129
    Atlanta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by BJones View Post
    Me thinks you may have just saved me from spending a bunch of time and periodically inventing a new cuss word or two! Thanks!
    I would advise withholding that comment until you complete the removal. There is still a good chance that a new cuss word will result.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Why do you have to take the glass out of the frames for tinting?
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Why do you have to take the glass out of the frames for tinting?
    You don't, we didn't... Had old tinting professionally removed and new "residential industrial tint" installed with windows in place, very pleased with outcome...
    1985 61MY #369 / Redonna Gail / N Myrtle Beach SC

Has anybody spent the $$$ on ceramic tint? I know it makes a world of difference on a truck but would it be equally worthwhile in a salon?

Quote Originally Posted by BJones View Post
    So, the tinting on the windows in the galley and salon of my 1992 65ft motoryacht is giving up the ghost, as in flaking and peeling off. I am in the Panama City area and had a heck of a time finding someone that would tint boat windows. Found a guy but he doesn't usually work on boats and has no idea how to get the windows out of the frames. How do we go about doing this?
    You don't have to remove the windows from the frames. They tint them in place, and it turns out great. Any competent shop is extremely good at getting it done, they usually work on cars with smaller windows and tighter spaces, the boat is a cakewalk compared to a car. I had mine done, and it turned out nicely. Keep looking for a reputable installer, the job will be done 10X better than if you try and DIY window tint for the first time. It's going to look awful, tint is a very steep learning curve.

Also when you do find someone to do the install, use 3M Crystalline film, it's really the bees' knees. Lasts forever, doesn't change colors with sun exposure, and it cuts the heat infiltration down by like 80%. It made a huge difference in my boat in the middle of summer when it's 98 degrees in Florida, before the salon a/c could barely keep up. Now it stays cool in there.

9. Re: Tinting the galley and salon windows in my 1992 65ft motor yacht

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Chad View Post
    Has anybody spent the $$$ on ceramic tint? I know it makes a world of difference on a truck but would it be equally worthwhile in a salon?
    We had the ceramic tint installed on all of our salon windows and it made a huge difference in keeping the cabin cool. We even had a clear version of the ceramic installed on the windshields and it reduced glare tremendously even at night.
    Ours was done by a professional and he gave us an as long as you own it warranty. A shipyard cracked a window and replaced it with cheap tint (actually installed tint on wrong side of glass). The original tint guy came back out to the boat and replaced it for no charge. I couldn’t believe it, I gave him a nice tip for the great service.
    Beachcomber
    Former 3 Hat owner
    Home port Paducah, KY