Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1986 MY Hull Thickness

Getting ready to replace a through hull in the bilge below the galley in my 54' MY. I'm upgrading to a new style Graco flange that gets through bolted and would like to have the correct hardware on hand ahead of time. Can someone tell me the approx. thickness of the hull down near the keel at this section of the boat so I can order the correct length screws...

Thanks
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

Re: 1986 MY Hull Thickness

Quote Originally Posted by IOLANI View Post
    Getting ready to replace a through hull in the bilge below the galley in my 54' MY. I'm upgrading to a new style Graco flange that gets through bolted and would like to have the correct hardware on hand ahead of time. Can someone tell me the approx. thickness of the hull down near the keel at this section of the boat so I can order the correct length screws...

Thanks
    Maybe just buy 3"or so bolts and after install cut the remainder with a cut off wheel? Bronze cuts easily.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    Maybe just buy 3"or so bolts and after install cut the remainder with a cut off wheel? Bronze cuts easily.
    Yes that's an option... I guess for that matter I could test fit them then remove and hacksaw to length since it's not that easy to get down in there with a cut off.

Thanks for the input.

This thread shows hull thickness on my boat to be about 13mm in the engine room.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...sers-1984-61MY
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by IOLANI View Post
    Yes that's an option... I guess for that matter I could test fit them then remove and hacksaw to length since it's not that easy to get down in there with a cut off.

Thanks for the input.
    Another option if the boat is on the hard would be to close the valve and push a rod up into the through hull and measure how much rod disappears. Then measure from the inside of the hull to where the ball in the valve would be. Subtract the two dimensions and that should be pretty close to hull thickness.

My 1987 63' MY is about 1 1/4 thick at the boot stripe.

My 1971 36 C is 25mm thick on the hull bottom, where the seawater intakes are.

We had a 1986 54' EDMY, and for some reason I want to say that for the thru-hulls in the generator room on either side of the keel, I was under the impression that it was a 3" thickness there. Now I don't know what to think, but I'm pretty sure the closer to the keel the thicker the hull?
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    This thread shows hull thickness on my boat to be about 13mm in the engine room.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...sers-1984-61MY
    Interesting read, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    Another option if the boat is on the hard would be to close the valve and push a rod up into the through hull and measure how much rod disappears. Then measure from the inside of the hull to where the ball in the valve would be. Subtract the two dimensions and that should be pretty close to hull thickness.
    Another good idea. I went ahead and ordered 3 different lengths of bronze screws from 2" to 3" since the price wasn't bad and the shipping cost was the same. I'll pick the one that fits best and trim if necessary.
    The bronze flat washers and lock washers were also reasonable but man you should see the cost of marine grade bronze nylock nuts. Eye popping !