Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 1986 MY Hull Thickness

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    We had a 1986 54' EDMY, and for some reason I want to say that for the thru-hulls in the generator room on either side of the keel, I was under the impression that it was a 3" thickness there. Now I don't know what to think, but I'm pretty sure the closer to the keel the thicker the hull?
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm going to be looking at a lot more than 1/2" down that close to the keel...I shall report my findings .
    Thanks for the input.
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    My 1987 63' MY is about 1 1/4 thick at the boot stripe.
    That's pretty stout. I imagine that's a high stress area that requires it.

Interestingly I noticed the other day the handrail gate just outside the pilothouse wouldn't open and close properly. It's as if the whole damn boat had flexed slightly despite being blocked up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by IOLANI View Post

Interestingly I noticed the other day the handrail gate just outside the pilothouse wouldn't open and close properly. It's as if the whole damn boat had flexed slightly despite being blocked up properly.
    Yea mine flexes slightly in the winter and the doors stick a little.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by IOLANI View Post

Funny enough, the graving plan included in the owners manual for my boat only shows three points to support her. All three are under bulkheads. Three points for 45'? I guess they knew best but there is a little movement over the winter. I paint contrasting bottom paint color at the graving points to assist the yard crew on where to place the blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    .... I paint contrasting bottom paint color at the graving points to assist the yard crew on where to place the blocks.
    That's a good idea. I should check my graving plan to see how close they are to the recommended points.

OK so my through hull valve was located 9-1/2 inches up from the edge of the keel. The old valve used no hardware and was held in place only by the threads of the through hole fitting and some sealant under the flange. It looked like it could be original to the boat but I'm not certain it was old that's for sure. It's used to feed two of the CruiseAir units. The hull thickness measured 1-1/4" there including what appears to be a factory pad area that's slightly built up .(The white stones you see is the parking lot of the marina). I used the new style Groco which uses a separate mounting flange which would allow you to easily change or service the valve in the future. I was really happy with the way the install went I can add some finished photos later. Thanks to all who responded.

IMG_9415 (Large).jpg

Last edited by IOLANI; 03-15-2024 at 01:32 PM.