Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Courtesy Lights and Clicky Switches

Now that we've got her closer to home, we're starting to make headway on our ginormous to-do list. Next up are the little courtesy lights about knee-high under the covered side decks. I cannot get them to light up. Not sure yet if it's an electrical issue, or if all the bulbs are burnt out, or if I just haven't found the right switch yet.

So today's questions are...does anyone know where the switch for the courtesy lights is (or should be)? And, is there any reason I can't swap the 'clicky' or 'snappy' switches (I think they're to designate 32v loads) with standard light switches (i.e. Decora or similar)?
    LONE STAR
    1983 61' CPMY
    Magnolia, Texas

Re: Courtesy Lights and Clicky Switches

DC switches are special quick break type. The "soft switches" are slow break and will draw and arc as they open/close and carbon up and quit making good contact (at best) or start a fire (at worst). But if you decide to replace them, I'll take the "clicky" switches off of your hands. I could use a couple of spares.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 03-03-2024 at 09:48 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

My understanding of switches in this context are that the switches that make an audible click are heavy duty switches. You could likely get a 20 amp toggle switch for ac and it would be the same level of duty as what's there now. DC has lower voltage but higher amperage. The higher dc amperage gives a greater 'spark' or arc when switched and heat in general in operation. There may be some lutron decora style switches with that rating.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    My understanding of switches in this context are that the switches that make an audible click are heavy duty switches. You could likely get a 20 amp toggle switch for ac and it would be the same level of duty as what's there now. DC has lower voltage but higher amperage. The higher dc amperage gives a greater 'spark' or arc when switched and heat in general in operation. There may be some lutron decora style switches with that rating.
    No. DC switches should be rated for DC. They need to be fast acting in that they quickly connect/disconnect their contacts.

Here is one article I found from a quick search that supports that:

https://www.mouser.com/blog/which-sw...f-its-ac-or-dc

If it's not rated for DC, don't use it.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 03-04-2024 at 06:59 PM.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    No. DC switches should be rated for DC. They need to be fast acting in that they quickly connect/disconnect their contacts.

Here is one article I found from a quick search that supports that:

https://www.mouser.com/blog/which-sw...f-its-ac-or-dc

If it's not rated for DC, don't use it.
    I understand your point and appreciate the link. Respectfully I'm going to say it depends. The use in question of OP was courtesy lights. While nice they aren't a solas item and if they go out, oh well. That said if the item is to be replied on to run the vessel I would not compromise and would ensure dependability. Two cases on board August: interior cabin lamps and windshield wipers. The cabin lamps are originally residential Flos Tilee remote switched 110 v lamps. I converted them to GY 6.35 base bipin and point of use rotary switching with, then, 50 watt 12v halogen bulbs, now mini corn cob led. Thats a lot of amps for a little rotary switch on dc and no switch could be found for rated amps with any semblance of style so I used basic rotary switches available at home depot or lowes. They would work fine and then in a few years the switch would start to get weak and I'd swap it out. The wiper system was another matter since it's a mission critical system. My helm doesn't have the luxury of three independent wiper switches like the motor yachts. I had one slot to use without hacking up the helm. Instead of overtaxing one wiper switch I created a rather elaborate system of relays to allow the switch to only carry enough amperage to signal the relay. One relay for low speed, another for high speed and diodes to prevent back feed so the park feature still works. I gave my advice on courtesy lights but the OP has to do his own research and think for himself.
    Attached Images

Good point that if a switch of rated capacity cannot be found, a relay is always an option. Relays of just about any rating can be found.

But the OP asked about replacing the DC wall switches with Decora and I don't find any Decora switches with a DC rating over 3 amps.
    Sky Cheney