Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Galley Maid windlass removal, rebuild and upside down core replacement

Late to the party. Check out Trying Not To Sink on YouTube, Ed and Lynn on Triton went thru this process as well. Unfortunately I never found out with our boat where the break was in between the electrical system and the anchor windlass on Pau Hana - and I lost a 70# Bruce claw anchor when Hurricane Ian destroyed our boat.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    Late to the party. Check out Trying Not To Sink on YouTube, Ed and Lynn on Triton went thru this process as well. Unfortunately I never found out with our boat where the break was in between the electrical system and the anchor windlass on Pau Hana - and I lost a 70# Bruce claw anchor when Hurricane Ian destroyed our boat.
    I saw that video a while back. The only thing I didn't like is he didn't bevel the perimeter of the old glass. I prefer to do that so I know there is a glass to glass bond and it flushes out better. I think he used Coosa which should work but I think the plywood is stronger for that area. He did his from underneath to avoid the snow and I did it for the rain. I guess we do what we have to do. Sorry for the loss of your boat and anchor.

The "trying not to sink" repair was all right but not the best way. There is another member here that did a rock solid core repair under the windlass and that's who I tried to copy.

Walt Hoover

Here is the thread I posted on my approach. I worked with long more narrow sections of glass wet out and rolled up on a piece of PVC. Worked like a charm.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...ndlass-removal
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I saw that video a while back. The only thing I didn't like is he didn't bevel the perimeter of the old glass. I prefer to do that so I know there is a glass to glass bond and it flushes out better. I think he used Coosa which should work but I think the plywood is stronger for that area. He did his from underneath to avoid the snow and I did it for the rain. I guess we do what we have to do. Sorry for the loss of your boat and anchor.
    Thanks. The 7 months of fighting with the insurance company didn't help, but we learned a lot in our 2 years, 1 month of full-time liveaboard boat ownership. Along the way I removed the old Crusairs, installed 3 new standalone single-piece units, plumbed/wired them, found and solved a lot of other issues. Here's what it looked like after "salvage"...
    20230424_124702.jpg
    04-22-2023 10_14_56 AM_W First St, Fort Myers, 33901, FL, United States.jpg
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL