Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Bulkhead replacement.

I need to replace a rotted section of my bulkhead between the galley and the pilothouse due to a
    Leaky fb hatch i have the galley completely gutted, but i dont see how its secured to the floor or overhead. And how do i secure it to the remaining bulkhead portion?

Re: Bulkhead replacement.

What model boat? The bulkheads are usually fiberglassed or “tabbed”to the hull. I’m not sure about construction techniques after the early 80’s

1975 64 cpmy

correct me if i'm wrong, but you would only tab a structural bulkhead right?
    this one doesn't appear structural as i see no attachment to the hull itself.

You can "tab" anything you want to, doesn't have to be structural.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Anytime I am attaching a panel to another, I use a doubler , usually the same thickness, behind the seam . I try to both epoxy and fasten with screws . Put teak trim over the seam and screws . If you can screw from behind and make a tight seam , it isn’t too noticeable , so you can forgo the trim . If you feel that you need to tab , I would use mechanical fasteners with the tabbing were it attaches to the wood , if this a real structural panel. The floors ( joists in residential use ) in our boats are tabbed and screwed as the wood moves differently from the fiberglass over time .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    You can "tab" anything you want to, doesn't have to be structural.
    But some of the bulkhead to hull joints are just 5200, not tabbed, it seems like, no?
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA