Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: anchor swivel?

anchor swivel?

I'm having Hamilton marine make up a new anchor rode for the boat and I'm entirely undecided on utilizing an anchor swivel. I've heard that they are the weakest link in the chain literally, but the utility of a swivel is quite appealing. The rode will be 50' of 3/8 chain in whatever dimension fits the maxwell rc 12 and 300' of 3/4" 8 plait and anchor will remain the trusty fortress fx-37. What do you guys think about swivels?

Re: anchor swivel?

Having left a 110 lbs Bruce in the Indian river off Titusville when the POS Suncor swivel snapped, I avoid them. If you re going to use one, the Kong swivel is the only to use. Beware of Chinese knock offs.

Why only 50’ of chain? If you don’t want to use all chain, I’d go for 100’ especially with a lightweight fortress
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I use one. 45C with 3/8" chain and 5/8" 3 strand. I can't recall the brand but it is pretty robust. I had it apart to put in a longer chain last season after several years. It came apart with no problem and appeared like new. I anchor in fairly heavy current frequently while fishing for tautog off Rhode Island and have been comfortable with it.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Having left a 110 lbs Bruce in the Indian river off Titusville when the POS Suncor swivel snapped, I avoid them. If you re going to use one, the Kong swivel is the only to use. Beware of Chinese knock offs.

Why only 50’ of chain? If you don’t want to use all chain, I’d go for 100’ especially with a lightweight fortress
    The existing rode that is being replaced is 50' of 3/8 chain and 3/4 three strand. I never had an issue. I've dived on the anchor a few times and it has always set fine, where a fluke anchor is appropriate. Weed or a river with leaves on the bottom forgetaboutit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    I use one. 45C with 3/8" chain and 5/8" 3 strand. I can't recall the brand but it is pretty robust. I had it apart to put in a longer chain last season after several years. It came apart with no problem and appeared like new. I anchor in fairly heavy current frequently while fishing for tautog off Rhode Island and have been comfortable with it.
    My main concern is chain jumping in the gypsy. Having previously only had my own back as windlass, chain hockle was never an issue. I was specifically looking at the Mantus s2. or S3 if its fits. https://www.mantusmarine.com/product...s-swivel-copy/

Not that I have tons of use yet but I’m happy with my Mantus swivel. Very robust and I would expect something else to let go (plenty of choices including some of the G4 chain) before the swivel. Makes raising the anchor into the pulpit very easy too.

Quote Originally Posted by firbanks View Post
    Not that I have tons of use yet but I’m happy with my Mantus swivel. Very robust and I would expect something else to let go (plenty of choices including some of the G4 chain) before the swivel. Makes raising the anchor into the pulpit very easy too.
    Thanks I appreciate the recommendation. It does appear robust at the least, they seem to have reinvented the swivel concept

My big Mantus is clunky cover over the roller, I always say...ouch when it comes over. Seems hard to swivel.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's