Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

53MY 1981 Air Conditioning

I am looking to get air conditioning to my enclosed back deck area. Right now I have air in the salon with the blower on the rear starboard side of the salon. It pulls air from the back deck area to feed the salon. Trying to figure out the easiest way to get cold air to that back section. Has anyone done it? I was thinking maybe to upgrade the size of the chiller and blower, but not sure how to get the air blowing into that area.
    Dragonten
    1981 53' MY Hull #603
    Woodstock, Illinois

Re: 53MY 1981 Air Conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonten View Post
    I am looking to get air conditioning to my enclosed back deck area. Right now I have air in the salon with the blower on the rear starboard side of the salon. It pulls air from the back deck area to feed the salon. Trying to figure out the easiest way to get cold air to that back section. Has anyone done it? I was thinking maybe to upgrade the size of the chiller and blower, but not sure how to get the air blowing into that area.
    Many with the aft hard enclosure have a separate unit on the back deck in a cabinet under the ladder.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Are you sure your aft salon unit is pulling hot humid air from the outside ? Never seen that

It s going to take a big separate unit to cool the aft deck due to all the glass area and volume. At least 32k btu. 53s came with two 16k for the salon which is about the same volume but with much better insulation
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Now that I think about it the blower pulls air from the salon not the enclosure area. I have a diesel heater that blows hot air into the enclosure when its cool and the vent is near the ladder area.

How do they get lines to a unit under the ladder? I was thinking of somehow getting a blower with two air outlets, upgrade the salon unit and try to use it for both areas. Or find a way to split the airflow to both areas.
    Dragonten
    1981 53' MY Hull #603
    Woodstock, Illinois

The ac unit for our aft deck is located under the fly bridge u-shaped settee. Not sure the BTU's, I can look next week if you'd like. It's a game changer for those cold mornings under the frozen north as SB put it.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

I just have a bench on my flybridge and behind it is the crane and dinghy that sit above the aft area. I would not want to cut a hole in the ceiling.
    Dragonten
    1981 53' MY Hull #603
    Woodstock, Illinois

One option you may look into is a portable AC unit. We ended up with one in our salon on Pau Hana while recovering from the $$ hit of replacing the lower deck AC units (3 new units) in the first year. We kept the salon at 72 degrees with a 12K BTU unit from Home Depot, and it didn't hit the electrical consumption significantly according to the bill. While it was intended as a temporary solution, another suggestion from another boater in the marina was one of the mini-split standalone units if you have a place to mount the inside and outside pieces. Theirs was mounted on the flybridge for the outside piece, with the inside piece hung from the overhead.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonten View Post
    I just have a bench on my flybridge and behind it is the crane and dinghy that sit above the aft area. I would not want to cut a hole in the ceiling.
    Under that bench is where the air handler is for our aft deck ac. There is a hole cut in the flybridge sole for the ducting.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale