Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Valve?

Valve?

Can anyone tell me what the bronze corroded thru hull fitting (for lack of better words for what to call it) with the T-handle is and it's purpose?
    Attached Images

Re: Valve?

Quote Originally Posted by Triskele View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the bronze corroded thru hull fitting (for lack of better words for what to call it) with the T-handle is and it's purpose?
    It’s the drain plug and not looking too sporty
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Called a Garboard Drain Plug.

At one time I was young, back then I called them scuttle plugs.

I would not even sneeze on the one in the picture until the hull is out of the water. First chance then, check it out for a still solid installation.

Thank you for your information. I can't even imagine the need for a drain plug on this boat. Any reason why glassing in and sealing the hole wouldn't be a better option to replacing with a new plug?

It's good to be able to drain the hull when she's stored ashore. "Sank on land" is a thing.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by Triskele View Post
    Thank you for your information. I can't even imagine the need for a drain plug on this boat. Any reason why glassing in and sealing the hole wouldn't be a better option to replacing with a new plug?
    When on the hill, they do make a nice controllable drain plug when washing out the bilges.
    Under the hull a water/oil trap can be made to help keep the area clean.

They are made like a thru hull fitting, instead of a sea-cock you have a plug with that T handle.
    I would have bad dreams knowing a plug was glued into the bottom of my hull
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 02-29-2024 at 03:10 PM.

Spray it down with vinegar a few times. Wire brush then polish if you want to clean it up.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Spray it down with vinegar a few times. Wire brush then polish if you want to clean it up.
    Thank you for the tip!!

That item needs to be replaced. Pronto.

Sinking on land is definitely a thing. If your boat is hauled, and subjected to a lot of rain, you can't depend on the bilge pumps to keep it dry, especially if the battery charger isn't hooked up. The garboard drain (what you see in the photos) is specifically there to keep the bilge from filling with water when she's hauled out on land.

It will probably take a cut off wheel or angle grinder to get that one out.