Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Vinyl panels versus hard paneling for ceiling and/or walls

Good day all. I have a basic internal space design question. Why do most boats have either stretched vinyl or vinyl covered panels for ceilings and sometimes walls?

I have a 1988 67' CPMY. I am contemplating removing the stretched vinyl ceiling and replacing it with painted plywood panels of some sort. At the same time I am looking to tear out the salon inside walls out, insulating the walls, and installing new wall paneling. The big difference is that I am wanting to make the wall and ceiling panels removable using ball and socket fasteners.

The reason to make the ceiling and walls panels easily removable is for maintenance and ongoing / future upgrades.

Does anybody see any issues with using non vinyl covered, painted wood panels for the ceiling and walls?

Any examples or pictures?

Thank you
    Kquaine
    Slainte
    1988 - 67' CPMY
    Houston, Texas

Re: Vinyl panels versus hard paneling for ceiling and/or walls

Industrial strength Velcro is now a good way of attaching panels that have to be occasionally removed
    I also use it on the flybridge for stuff l want to store inside rather than leave for months in the sun

Quote Originally Posted by Kquaine View Post
    ...Does anybody see any issues with using non vinyl covered, painted wood panels for the ceiling and walls?

Only if you don't want to kill resale value. Chances are you will be the only one who likes the upgrades.

I think the breathable headliner was to reduce mold and mildew from condensation. It needs to breathe.

And, as Tom says, it will kill resale if you panel everything in painted plywood. But it would make a nice shop or tool shed.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Or, compromise and do both. I tore down my perforated headliner in my old '79 43C. It was all yellow and had a few tears in it. Basically looked like bloody hell. I cut 6 panel pieces out of 1/4" luaun to fit to my ceiling. One seam down the middle and two seams athwartships. I covered each piece with the same type of perforates vinyl as the original. I applied it to the panels with 3m adhesive spray, stretching the vinyl and wrapping it around the edges, with more 3m spray and ss staples to attach it to the underside. I built a teak handrail to cover most of the centerline seam, and cut 5/16" battens out of a piece of 6/4 teak, rounding over the edges with a router, for the cross seams. Varnished all of it. On the cross seams, I installed rod holders. I also used a couple short pieces of the battens to cover the centerline seam where the grab rail did not. I was happy with the results.

20201112_170358.jpg
    20201112_170401.jpg
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Looks nice Bob Bradley!

I like the velcro idea, if it would really hold.
    To the OP, what are ball & socket fasteners?

I like the "do both" idea. Some of the newer yachts seem to have ceilings in sections, maybe they are removeable like is being discussed?
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA