Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

32V Starting issue, question

Today, I had an interesting problem when I went to start the engines (DD 471's).

When I push the start buttons, I got a loud click click click from the solenoids on the starters, but neither engine would crank.

I noticed the Sentry charger sounding a bit strange. It would come on (hum) for 1 second, then off for about a minute (maybe 90 seconds), then come back on for 1 second, etc. Charger showed a "FULL" led on the batteries. In the past the charger would come on every 5-10 minutes for about 30 seconds, then go off.

I have been working on the boat for a few weeks and haven't started the engines in about 2 months. This is the longest without starting them since I've owned the boat (3 yrs now).

Anyway, I pushed the selector switch on the Sentry charger from Auto to Manual and looked at the AMP gauge on the charger. It showed 0 amps, same as in the Auto mode, but it did hum solid. After about 30 seconds, I tried both engines and they both cranked right over.

So I'm confused about what is going on here. I know the charger didn't put much back into the batteries (if anything), especially in less than one minute. But now the engines will start repeatedly.

I do think I may have a charger problem and will discuss with Sentry tomorrow - but that doesn't really explain the fail to start issue. Any ideas?

Re: 32V Starting issue, question

I would start by checking all of the battery cable connections. A loose or corroded connection can cause intermittent start/charge issues.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Agree with Sky, also check the water levels in your batteries.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Agree with Sky, also check the water levels in your batteries.
    This... has happened to me with my 32 VDC system in my 58LRC.

A major reason I went with AGMs on my battery replacement.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

I installed one of those battery hydration systems and tied all the batteries together. About a year later I had a hard time getting the engines to turn over. I used to go down once a week and pump the container five or six times and filled up all 32 ports with distilled water. Well it turns out it was only filling the first battery or two and the rest were going dry. Once I filled them up and charged them for about an hour, everything’s back to normal I caught it Before the batteries were damaged.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Check for loose cable, water, and anything simple. Hope that's it.

My Sentry charger (not sure model but 5 years new) won't charge batteries that are over 50% discharged. I learned this with a similar fact pattern to yours. I had to be away for three months. Boat lost power for long enough for routine house stuff to drain that bank. The Sentry charger boiled the other bank trying to get the house bank charged. My battery guy put a portable 32volt charger on the house and once restored, the Sentry took over and all was well.

Sentry chargers also have a fuse that blows and once replaced, it works fine. But you have to have the courage to unscrew the plate on the charger with the warning label indicating certain death.

I hope your problem is a cable, water or something simple and less frustrating.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 with ext)
    Tampa en route to Georgetown

Sorry for the delay in posting my findings, but the water level in the batteries was the culprit. It is a bit had to look down into the cells where the batteries are mounted, so I thought they were full. Wrong. Topped off with distilled water and life seems to be goo again.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    Sorry for the delay in posting my findings, but the water level in the batteries was the culprit. It is a bit had to look down into the cells where the batteries are mounted, so I thought they were full. Wrong. Topped off with distilled water and life seems to be goo again.
    That happened to me as well. One down side in my case was it took a LOT of life out the batteries.

Monitor your batteries closely going forward.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL