Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Super fast hair drier and vacuum cleaner

Another possibility is lost neutral. Bad JuJu. When neutral is lost voltage floats out of control on the 2 legs based on load.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Ok, i may have found something, i went down to my 120v service c box and found a black #8 wire attached to the neutral bus, the is also a #8blk/red attached to the line on the breakers.
    According to my diagrams the black should be the line in on the breakers and blk/red for the spare breakers which i do not have.

Brother, Do you Really know what you are doing?
    Guessing?
    Asking non-electricians on a web site?

I type this not to be a smart asp or bum on you, but to apply a heavy load of caution your way.
    Not just another vacuum cleaner can be at risk while diving into heavy amp services.
    Please be extra careful.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 02-25-2024 at 01:24 PM.

Im just reporting what i found,and looking at my Hatteras supplied wiring diagrams it appears to be wired incorrectly. Im not a certified sparky but im no idiot either. And it does seem as if there are a few people here. Who have more knowledge than myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ESCAPE PLAN View Post
    Voltage between black and white is 250vVoltage between white and green 125v should be 0 yes?Voltage between black and green 125vI beleive the transformers have been removed It was also wired for european along with the fact. wiring.
    Question asked, question answered. Your generators probably run at 50 Hz also. It may be a straightforward remedy, but you really need someone who knows what they're looking at to throw eyeballs on it in person
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Gen runs 60hz and marine electrician coming tomorrow.

Sounds good. I just think you're asking a lot of a forum when you're dealing with something that's non-standard and we're not able to see the whole thing while relying on partial descriptions. Hopefully your electrician can get the whole picture and get your electrical back to original.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by ESCAPE PLAN View Post
    Im just reporting what i found,and looking at my Hatteras supplied wiring diagrams it appears to be wired incorrectly. Im not a certified sparky but im no idiot either. And it does seem as if there are a few people here. Who have more knowledge than myself.
    With the previous mods for europe, there is no telling what is wired to what.
    You may have well been rite on to something but Murphy is not a sparky either, but he lurks in the wires.
    On our Aqua Space Ships, We need to be extra careful on some systems.

Glad you have a real marine electrical tech coming.

What Ralph said- good that you have a professional coming to look at it.

The chance of Hatteras wiring the boat wrong versus someone screwing it up later in its life... I would bet that someone screwed it up later on. Hatteras Yachts was one of the very few boatbuilders who had their own electrical division with engineers designing the electrical systems and electricians wiring the boats.

Well,
    1st electrician spent 2-3 hrs on it and decided that this will take more time than he had yesterday(he had another job and squeezed us in) he's going to Belize tomorrow for a 2-3wk. stay.
    he suggested we look for someone else as we need this figured out right away.
    i found out that the installers of the euro wiring was Wards Marine Electric in Ft. Lauderdale, so thats who we are talking with today. if they have to, they will come to Ft. Pierce to look at it and come up with a solution.