Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Super fast hair drier and vacuum cleaner

Good afternoon all, i have an issue with some of my 110v outlets.My wife smoked 2 hair driers and a vacuum cleaner on 3 different outlets i hookedUp a meter with a plug in outlet tester and it showed 30 rev hot ground.I tested each wire seperately black had 112 and white had 112. Neutral should have zero volts right?Or am i missing something?

Re: Super fast hair drier and vacuum cleaner

Just to make sure, you measured 112Vac between black and white?

Black to white and green should offer 112 to 115Vac.
    White to green should be zero.

Some times you may read noise between green and white.
    I use a test lamp as a load between wires to ensure I'm reading 115Vac, Noise should go-away and then be truly zero.

Pending if you do not have a service transformer, white and green are tied at the dockside power pole.
    When you are off the dock, Your gen-set and/or inverter ties white and green.

If you do have a transformer, White is generated in the transformer. Green may go to shore or the ships bonding. Pending who/how it was wired when assembled.
    Here is where white & green may offer that noise.

Now, another leaking appliance passing 115Vac to the white or green wires call for extra Excedrin for that soon to be had; headache.

what do you mean by “ showed 30 rev hot”??

You should have around 110-120v between both terminals as well as between H and G. N to G should be zero

What are you getting between H and N ?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Voltage between black and white is 250vVoltage between white and green 125v should be 0 yes?Voltage between black and green 125vI beleive the transformers have been removedIt was also wired for european along with the fact. wiring.

30 rev gnd hot is what my meter said. It has a plug tester option on it

You have 250V ac at the outlet ? Is this issue new ? Hook your meter back up and have someone start turning off breakers and see if voltage drops.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

This vessel is new to me im finding out all sorts of crap. I think i might err on the side of caution
    And hire a electrician, it is my home and i dont feel like losing it. Any recommendations in the Ft. Pierce area ?

Quote Originally Posted by ESCAPE PLAN View Post
    Voltage between black and white is 250vVoltage between white and green 125v should be 0 yes?Voltage between black and green 125vI beleive the transformers have been removedIt was also wired for european along with the fact. wiring.
    If you have 250v between black and white, these outlets are wired for 240v! You have a serious problem there. Turn off the breaker for these outlets right away
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by ESCAPE PLAN View Post
    It was also wired for european along with the fact.
    Oh Sheet.
    Most european stuff runs on 200-220Vac. Your purchase surveyor did not pick up on this?

Yes, To save any more equipment and more (great safety issue), Get a real marine electrician on board.

That is the plan. Some things i will do but i dont screw around with safety.