Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Optimal Battery Terminal Orientation in New 32V Bank ?

Getting ready to fabricate battery boxes to accommodate 2 new banks of Full River 8v AGMs.

I thought by rotating the batteries and orienting the terminals in the scheme shown (left illustration) the result would be some really short jumpers which would be beneficial in my mind.

However reading through the literature associated with the batteries it seems to suggest otherwise....ie using longer jumpers "catty-corner" as shown in the illustration to the right.

I can't imagine why this would be more beneficial so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.

IMG_9203.jpg

Bank - Copy.jpg

Last edited by IOLANI; 02-22-2024 at 06:32 PM.
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

Re: Optimal Battery Terminal Orientation in New 32V Bank ?

Your house bank configuration is exactly what I did. I then made up some copper buss bars to use to connect the batteries instead of using cables.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Your house bank configuration is exactly what I did. I then made up some copper buss bars to use to connect the batteries instead of using cables.
    Good to know. That's the configuration I was hoping to use. With the cable terminal lugs basically placed back to back against each other I can create a jumper approx. 3-1/2 inches long eye to eye which will work perfectly on the short ones. I like your Buss bar idea also.

Your sketch will work either way. I have always preferred a shorter cable installation.
    The attached figure 4 is for a 2 x 2 battery install and not what you are doing.

Longer cables will not transfer vibration and strain between the battery post is the only thought for longer cables that come to my mind.

I do have a recommendation before you start fabricating new boxes;
    Air gaps between the batteries. Keep those puppies cool and apart from each other about 1.5" all around.
    Helps when R&R time comes also.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Your sketch will work either way. I have always preferred a shorter cable installation.
    The attached figure 4 is for a 2 x 2 battery install and not what you are doing.

Longer cables will not transfer vibration and strain between the battery post is the only thought for longer cables that come to my mind.

I do have a recommendation before you start fabricating new boxes;
    Air gaps between the batteries. Keep those puppies cool and apart from each other about 1.5" all around.
    Helps when R&R time comes also.
    Thanks Ralph. You're a mind reader. I was just noticing where the manufacturer recommends some spacing between the batteries. 1/2" was quoted in one place but I'll take your advice and be a little more generous.