Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Type of Fitting on Power Steering

I have a 2002 65 Convertible and the pressure hose for the power steering burst last week. I have identified replacement hydraulic hose, but the fittings are the challenge. The prior items are marked 8FJXS which is a Gates stainless steel dual seat, 45 and 37 degree, fitting. These are hard to come by with 37 degree seats being much more available. What angle are the male fittings on the power steering pump and distribution block on the transom.

Re: Type of Fitting on Power Steering

Are those re-usable hose ends?

I don't think they are re-useable. I cut into the sleeve to the hose but it appears it would be impossible to cut sufficiently to remove the sleeve without damaging the fitting itself.

You can buy the angle gauge on McMaster Carr or you can get your hose shop involved to help you figure it out.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Quote Originally Posted by Mike57 View Post
    I don't think they are re-useable. I cut into the sleeve to the hose but it appears it would be impossible to cut sufficiently to remove the sleeve without damaging the fitting itself.
    re-usable fittings usually have an funky outer compression sleeve that is left handed and after you screw it down over the outer part of the hose your then thread the inner part into it. I forget the name of them but they can be reused many times , we used them exclusively in the oil fields back in the 70s for all the hydraulic connections, always made up all of our hoses.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Thanks for that insight. There are definitely no threads on the inside of the sleeve. I am away from the boat right now, so I can't put a gage on the male fittings. Mail Order providers seem to have much better pricing for custom hose assemblies compared to what I am being quoted in San Diego, so I am hoping to order the hose prior to my return to the boat.

Is there a hydraulic shop close by?
    They can make a whole new hose or match the fitting.

The local shops are very expensive, and the dual seat fittings are hard to find particularly in stainless steel. I can get hose (32 feet) and 37 Degree Stainless fittings for half the price of local shops (San Diego) via Mail Order even after shipping costs. I'm just not sure if the male fittings on the boat are 37 or 45 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike57 View Post
    The local shops are very expensive, and the dual seat fittings are hard to find particularly in stainless steel. I can get hose (32 feet) and 37 Degree Stainless fittings for half the price of local shops (San Diego) via Mail Order even after shipping costs. I'm just not sure if the male fittings on the boat are 37 or 45 degrees.
    If they are 45°, a corner of paper will fit perfect.
    I don't think JEC (37°) fitting are commonly used in medium pressure lines. More of a specialty fitting.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I took a chance and bought a mail order hose with 37 deg (JIC) fittings. The supplier tech told me they were dual seat fittings which is what the original Hatteras supplied fittings indicated based on their part number. On getting back to the boat I determined that the fitting on the engine driven pump was 37 degrees. The fitting on the distribution block at the transom appears to be 45 degrees, very hard to reach. All is well after a couple of hours of operation and no seepage. I did learn that the hose runs through what appears to be PVC tubing for the majority of the way aft from the engine compartment. This tubing inside diameter was only .030 larger than the hex nut and crimp on the hose. Any larger crimp would have been a show stopper.