Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New overhead

New overhead

Got started on replacing my overhead in the main saloon. Thanks Sky for encouraging me to do it. Interesting where the light fixture was they just cut out the inner layer of glass and removed the coring.
    Attached Images
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Re: New overhead

I’m surprised it wasn’t framed so to say to seal off the coring. It’s a good time to I’d the wiring for records. Keep the pics coming.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

What are you replacing it with John? Are you redoing your lights as well?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Doing a vinyl like the original then I am making a Cherry framework to house flush down lites super yacht style ha ha. Trying to decide if I am going to remove all the copper tubing that was for the washers and wipers. I have installed electric wipers and an electric horn and removed my engine driven compressor and tank.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406

Literally just replaced our headliner. Went with solid, no pinholes. For lighting we went Imtra due to the highly great reviews. Can see why now that they are in. Dimmable with a dimming controller. If it gets confusing I can help. Was easy for me since I’m a controls contractor.

Picture is sideways of course. 😂
    Attached Images
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

We are also going with a solid material. Luckily my wife has a wholesale account at a local company that supplies marine canvass and car head liner business’s. They even have the cardboard strips to staple on the cross pieces when you fold the material over. I think removing all the staples is going to be the biggest part of the job.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Literally just replaced our headliner. Went with solid, no pinholes. For lighting we went Imtra due to the highly great reviews. Can see why now that they are in. Dimmable with a dimming controller. If it gets confusing I can help. Was easy for me since I’m a controls contractor.

Picture is sideways of course. 
    There by God is a fine looking sideliner!
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I second the solid material with a little texture. The Lumitec lights we put in are dimmable with a regular household on/off switch. They're wired to the original DC light switch.

Headliner 2.jpg

Been there done that. You won't regret it. I made these receivers for the recess lighting. Just sending the photos in case it helps with decision making. Each station had its own depth so ultimately each receiver was only for a specific location. The metal stud was attached to each batten which specified the vinyl headliner height. So each receiver was shimmed and numbered for each location. They are 5200 glued and screwed. The round over on reciever eliminates print through from a hard edge. Not sure if 1974 is North American Rockwell years but my 1970 is, lots of short cuts I've found and corrected.
    Attached Images

The receiver system worked well.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by bostonhatteras; 02-17-2024 at 08:56 AM.