Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: new electronics set up help please.

If you go to the Bahamas a lot you will want the explorer charts which Garmin does not offer. Furuno does. I have both Furuno and Garmin and the Garmin is easier to use.

Furuno radars have always been top of the line but Garmin have made significant leaps over the years. I have used older Navnet and Navnet 3D which were pretty good but not as user friendly as Garmin I m guessing the latest Navnet Touch has improved

The boat I run has a 1226 radar and a pair of 8617 along with black box sounder and AIS. It’s a great setup.

One thing I don’t like about the Garmin system is how ID’nig a target on Radar isn’t as easy as furuno… for instance on the radar screen you can’t get details of an AIS target… you have to tap It on the plotter screen. Just plain stupid. Also on the furuno radar, if you click on an echo, its position will Show on the plotter. And finally when tapping on an AIS target you don’t always get all the data on one page but have to scroll between 2 pages.

Good point of the Garmin /Navionics charts not being as good as CMap-Explorer for the Bahamas.
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Another issue with Garmin radar I had forgotten is that it will give you the CPA distance and time for an AIS target but not the bearing. I m pretty sure furuno does. This can make it more difficult to make a course change decision
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

From a customer service standpoint furuno is second to none.