Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Salon inswing to slider door conversion series 1 45' conv

Here's some photos of the process in switching from the rather intrusive inswing design to the more or less Hatteras design sliding door. The design is taken from the 15'10" pilot house doors, and I scrutinized as many other sliders as I could find. The aft bulkhead was treated as a project unto itself in the refit so all aspects of the bulkhead were tackled at the same time, lites, door, finishes, rot, delaminated cockpit mold, you name it. The bulkhead is clearly stripped of everything and the plasticy finish Hatteras applied as veneer on exterior and interior is removed. The rot repaired and the cockpit liner across the entire width is pulled away from the bulkhead-cleaned out-sanded and thickened epoxy bonded via clamping with heavy steel bars and structural screws back to bulkhead.
    Attached Images

Re: Salon inswing to slider door conversion series 1 45' conv

Both sides of bulkhead repaired and coated twice with neat epoxy. 1/8 okoume teak ply is added to interior. Ply was 'clamped' by strapping nailed through ply with 18 gauge brads, resulting holes just took a tiny bit of color putty after and cant be readily seen. Hatteras is known for lousy window cut outs but the aft bulkhead cut outs were spot on checked with digital protractor.
    Attached Images

A full size mock up was made to test all theories about how the door would operate. the original door isn't tossed yet, I'm not that confident. All the mock up material are throw away pine. Actual hardware, sheaves, track, latch from Sam's is installed in mock up. track isnt from sam's i found the manufacturer and used stainless track of same profile instead of the brass Sam's carries.
    Attached Images

The door being made in my shop. The rails and stiles are from white oak and the 'panel is okoume. door is 3/4 thick. Originally I intended to have a half lite but I thought a full lite would be better overall, so it became a full lite. Not as heavy as the original door.
    Attached Images

The white oak track and frame is added. Lots of epoxy and clamping here with differing size screws depending on what piece it was. Bottom track is heavily screwed. all screws were counter sunk and plugged.
    Attached Images

Entire bulkhead was prepped and primed in PPG no sand primer. Door was painted in shop. Dont fall in the open hatches!
    Attached Images

This is what the door and bulkhead look like today. it operates smoothly but isnt anywhere as intuitive for landlubbers like a swing door. also using the hook to hold it open or make sure its latched shut is mandatory, it will slam hard! Door has bumpers up and down on interior side so no damage is done though. It closes with a satisfying thunk.
    Attached Images

The thread wouldn't be complete without adding the tv lift cabinet. I used as much trim from the old air conditioning box that was in this spot as possible. I later took the magazine rack that was forward in the salon, cut it down to two spots from the original three and mounted it to the left on the tv cabinet. I couldn't find a pic so i guess that means it didn't happen

haha. The lift is from Woods industries.
    Attached Images

Very nice work. The exterior slider is same as on our 82 46. Best way to have a slider.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Great looking job. The rotten bulkhead project is in my future. My sliding tract is on the inside. If you do a tackle locker the door has to slide behind it.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present