Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1984 61 MY Revamp

After nearly 8 years of owndership we are getting to the interior cosmetics. All the carpet was toast and smelt. The lounges were tired.

There has always been duscussion about carpets and flooroards on this forum. I went a different way and lay down commercial carpet planks. They are about 4' long and 12" wide. They were laid in a herringbone pattern bow to stern.

The product we chose is not flat, but has a discernable 3mm cut loop pile. The planks must be laid in one direction so the pile matches.

Six months on we have had red wine, dog pooh, vomit and grease stains. The planks can be taken up and hosed off or just scrubbed clean. Nothing seems to affect them or trhe colour. Easy to vacuum with the Dyson. Once in position the planks do not move.

The tiles were laid by myself over a six week period. Its a slow repetitive process. I did have help to pull the old carpet up and to remove the carpet track along the edges.

Fitting angles and corners becomes easier as you gain experience. If you look for the joins you will see them, but they all just seem to blend in.

The upholstery was all replaced.

Here is the product link and a helpful video that sold me on the idea.

https://www.carpettiles1.com.au/carp...nks-model-1310

Carpet1.jpg

carpet 2.jpg

carpet 3.jpg
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 02-10-2024 at 06:38 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Re: 1984 61 MY Revamp

Looks nice.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Great upholstery work. Can’t tell the carpet is a plank system. Nice job.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Oh my! With all that stuff on the carpet you must have some really crazy parties! It looks very nice, how do the planks connect together?

Walt Hoover

Looks great Scott, can’t believe that’s the same boat that I was on. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Very nice Scott. Well done!
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Looks like a realistic alternative to a huge unmanageable carpet. Is it a traditional pad/carpet feel? Thanks for the tip.

The carpet planks chosen have a nice feel under bare feet. Not hard. Not unpleasant. If you rub bare knees against the grain you will definintly feel its texture. But no issues when lying on the floor.

The old carpet was toast. It stank when weather was humid. New planks do not retain moisture.

carpet1.JPG

Yuk.

carpet3.JPG

Once the carpet in the salon was removed the floorboards were found to be in good shape. It took our helper considerable time to remove all the carpet tracking and nails from around the edges. We then used the back side edge of a broom to find any high spots which were mostly epoxy spills during construction.

carpet4.JPG

An interesting find was the double hatch system used above the gerset room. The planks were sturdy//strong enough to go over the larger hatch gap.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 02-19-2024 at 02:45 PM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

carpet5.JPG

We had so much old carpet, underlay plus the old armchair that a barge carried it all off. The upholsterer met us at the boat ramp and took the furniture.

carpet6.JPG

New planks arriving in the marina tender. Each box was about 60lbs.

carpet7.JPG

Laying planks... we used the straight edge of the cocktail cabinet as a starting point and worked out from there. The supplier suggested a special double sided tape to keep corners in position and stop edges lifting. This added to the laying time. In larger areas the laying was about 2o planks per hour or in a session. Cutting planks to length took its time but became easier with experience.

The planks had to firmly butt against each other and care needed to be taken to ensure there were no gaps or the overall alignment would be out. Any allignment error would cause a flow on affect to subsequent planks.

The planks were laid in a herringbone style with the pile laying in the same direction.. The lines you can see in the photo above have all but disappeared with use. Any lines you might notice appear to be a feature of the herringbone pattern.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 02-19-2024 at 03:08 PM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.