Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: 1988 48 hatteras convertible repower

Take a look in Boats & Harbors, see if you can find a pair of 3406Es or C18s there. If you keep an eye out, you might get lucky.

The later QSM11s with the water-cooled exhaust manifold are probably a lot better, but they are going to cost a LOT more than the reman QSM11s that don't have the water-cooled exhaust.

Tony tells it like it is, he is a no-bullshit guy.

Uh yeah. You got the boat for next to nothing because it’s not a desirable boat. If it was a 52 or even an old 46 or 53 it would be a worthwhile project but a 48? Like Darnell told the kid in Christine “you can’t polish a turd”

Quote Originally Posted by hoodie55 View Post
    I bought the boat for next to nothing it needed a little work the interior is all brand new I did new floors new windows new saloon door I built a new helm console for the boat I am in the process of re painting the entire boat the hull will be kingston gray and the topside will be snow white the only thing left to do to the boat is rebuild the 8v92's which the prices I have gotten are people who will do it but they don't want to or repower I have a pretty good deal on nanni 900hp engines and I can de rate them to 800 hp they are the same block as the scania or I could go volvo d11 at 725 hp or d13 at 800hp aside the problem I am running into with the nannies is that there are service distributors around me but there aren't enough of those engines around for them to really carry anything for them so if I had a problem I would have to get the part from Massachusetts area which the dealer I talked to said he wouldn't have a problem doing if I went volvo eckels marine diesel would I were I would get the engines and they would do the installs I can remove the old engines myself I have the equipment to do it I can do all of the engine room glass work myself also have done it before on other projects so I can save alot in cost I like cummins have had them on boats in the past just not sure if the qsm 11 are enough engine to get a 26 knot cruise that is the number I am trying to shoot for I may be over thinking it and the qsm 11s may get me there especially with the offset in engine weights the cat 3406 would be a great engine in that boat just have to be at the rite place rite time to get my hands on those babies.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

The thing to consider about the Scania based Nanni in my opinion is that corporate partnership! Cummins and MerCruiser had a program like that, and management changed, the company direction changed, next thing you knew 2 year old engines were impossible to get electrical parts for because neither Cummins nor MerCruiser supported them. PITA!!! ask me how I know....

To me the consumer needs to be comfortable with the manufacturers network. Caterpillar may be every where, but not in your area. Scania has 43 Dealers on the East Coast and the Gulf of Mexico. It also has a strong distributors network who will support the end user as well.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Also, would contact Gregory Poole and Ring Power Caterpillar as they do/sell a lot of repowers.

Pair of 3406E's on Ebay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/22592385666...Bk9SR7zhkKOxYw
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

A lil town of Green Cove Springs FL has a Scania dealer.
    Their around.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Uh yeah. You got the boat for next to nothing because it’s not a desirable boat. If it was a 52 or even an old 46 or 53 it would be a worthwhile project but a 48? Like Darnell told the kid in Christine “you can’t polish a turd”
    So I know a guy with one that has the 735 Detroit’s that he is selling. He was not ready for a boat like this. What’s it likely going to sell for? Decent shape but ER could be a lot nicer. Functional.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Take a look in Boats & Harbors, see if you can find a pair of 3406Es or C18s there. If you keep an eye out, you might get lucky.

The later QSM11s with the water-cooled exhaust manifold are probably a lot better, but they are going to cost a LOT more than the reman QSM11s that don't have the water-cooled exhaust.

Tony tells it like it is, he is a no-bullshit guy.
    Jim,
    The C15 is the replacement for the 3406, not the C18.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Also, would contact Gregory Poole and Ring Power Caterpillar as they do/sell a lot of repowers.

Pair of 3406E's on Ebay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/22592385666...Bk9SR7zhkKOxYw
    That is a steal. Costs that much to rebuild one.

Yes c15 was the original replacement for for 3406e, really just a model name change when CAT renamed the line up to reflect cubic liter displacement. Now that c15's are no longer being offered the 800ish hp c18's are the current replacement, really a commercial duty engine. Seems like the lower hp c18's are more available in the used/reman market than the 1000ish hp c18's. Think I had posted about the Scania's before, met a guy over the summer who had just repowered his 47 Davis (originally 8v92s) for the 2nd time. First time with MAN's and then the Scania's, he said the torque was insane, they're actually having trouble getting enough wheel under the boat for the power. Lastly I'm shocked at the number of repowers happening with MANs going in, even a ton of CAT boats switching over, people do not seem to be scared of them anymore, don't know if anything has changed with the super expensive maintenance costs, etc..
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Cat was way behind on getting Tier III engines ready for the marine market. Others have taken a bunch of their market share since they just couldn't supply anything. They discontinued many models because they couldn't sell them here without having anything in the pipeline to replace them with.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI