Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Backup Gas Generator

I saw a 1300kw portable gas generator for $1k that sits on wheels and would store easily in my boat's garage under the cockpit. Plan was to use it on the deck of the cockpit as an emergency backup to charge the inverters in the event the Onan takes a break and wants me to learn more diesel repair.

Portable generator operating instructions call for a grounding strap to be tied to a lead rod buried 2 feet deep. Neither the strap nor rod come with the unit. It doesn't sound like this would be safe to operate on a boat.

One forum member suggested it would be okay.

I would like to hear from others before I return the unit.

THanks

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 with ext)
    Tampa

Re: Backup Gas Generator

If you carry gas for the tender it’s probably not a bad idea. I’d look for a propane dual fuel one though. Everything I have that uses gas that I don’t use on a regular basis’ even with stabil 360 in it seems to have carb problems
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    If you carry gas for the tender it’s probably not a bad idea. I’d look for a propane dual fuel one though. Everything I have that uses gas that I don’t use on a regular basis’ even with stabil 360 in it seems to have carb problems
    I have found that if I turn a carbureted engine off with the switch then it will gum up over time, I have been turning off the gas and letting them run out and shutdown and I haven't had an issue in years, genset, lawn mower, snowblower, ect.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

1300 watt or kw?
    1300 watts is nothing.
    Also the ground issue could be worked around but I'd bet the unit would be useless after 6 months in sea air.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    Portable generator operating instructions call for a grounding strap to be tied to a lead rod buried 2 feet deep. Neither the strap nor rod come with the unit. It doesn't sound like this would be safe to operate on a boat.
    One of those fish zinc kits clamped the the lil gen-set will make your fault current path.
    It is the CO that scares me around every boat with a gas gen-set.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 02-05-2024 at 08:45 AM.

The fish kit zinc is a new idea to me and seems like it would do the trick.

I fear the CO from a gas generator as well. My op plan is to run it on deck wherever the wind will blow the exhaust away. I plan to charge the inverters and not run the gen while anyone is asleep.

Thanks for the fish zinc idea.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    The fish kit zinc is a new idea to me and seems like it would do the trick.

I fear the CO from a gas generator as well. My op plan is to run it on deck wherever the wind will blow the exhaust away. I plan to charge the inverters and not run the gen while anyone is asleep.

Thanks for the fish zinc idea.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa
    Could you run the gasser on the swim platform?
    CO gasses are just a lil heavier than air. On top of the boat, CO can still seep in, On the swim platform (as long as nobody is swimming) helps ensure the exhaust gas does not seep in.
    Keep in mind, Station Wagon Effect may apply here anyway.

I have been around some end results (BAD endings), so I'm a lil Polly about CO.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 02-05-2024 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I don’t use my lawn tractor very much so I use high octane racing fuel ( racin gas - here in NC ) Lasts longer and smells great!
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by Jims43DC View Post
    I have found that if I turn a carbureted engine off with the switch then it will gum up over time, I have been turning off the gas and letting them run out and shutdown and I haven't had an issue in years, genset, lawn mower, snowblower, ect.
    Apparently, the current wisdom for what passes for gasoline now is if the engine will sit longer than one week then the carb/gas line should be run dry. We do that with my sons little Tiara 2000/Johnson 175 and never have carb issues.

I get the not needing much KW power but I would find the smallest 1800 RPM 3 cylinder diesel and use it as a backup. No fuel issues, just need a plan to exercise it. Permanent installation that would compliment the full main generator and the inverter setup you have now.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP